Related Rates: Finding the Rate of Change of k with Respect to Time

• Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of related rates and uses the example of a tangent line to a curve to illustrate how to set up and solve a related rates problem. The problem involves finding the rate of change of the x-intercept of the tangent line when the x-component of the curve is increasing at a constant rate. The final answer is found using the implicit relationship between the x-intercept and the x-component of the curve.
jesuslovesu
whoops

k = 3/2*w
y=1/w^2 <- w is the x component of y = 1/x^2

w is increasing at a constant rate of 7 units per second. When w = 5, what is the rate of change of k with respect to time?
dw/dt = 7

I'm not sure but can I do this? It seems like this is wrong or that I'm skipping a step.
dk/dt = 3/2 * dw/dt
dk/dt = 10.5 ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fix up your expressions.
w=1/w^2 means that the only real number w can be is 1.

Your missing k now: Post the problem as given if need be, or the source if it is a commom text.

jesuslovesu said:
whoops

k = 3/2*w
y=1/w^2 <- w is the x component of y = 1/x^2
"w is the x component of y= 1/x^2" doesn't make much sense. I think you just mean y= 1/w^2. In fact, I don't see reason to mention y or x. I also assume you mean k= (3/2)w rather than k= 3/(2w)

w is increasing at a constant rate of 7 units per second. When w = 5, what is the rate of change of k with respect to time?
dw/dt = 7

I'm not sure but can I do this? It seems like this is wrong or that I'm skipping a step.
dk/dt = 3/2 * dw/dt
dk/dt = 10.5 ??

dk/dt= (dw/dk)(dk/dt)

dw/dk= (3/2) and you are told that dw/dt= 7 so dk/dt= (3/2)(7)= 10.5 just as you say.

But are you sure you've copied the problem correctly? There is no need to know that w= 5 if dk/dw is a constant.

Thanks for all your help... I'm pretty sure that it must be 10.5 now, I don't see how any other relationship with time could be formed, although the w = 5 is a bit suspicious.

Here's the full picture, sorry I should have posted it first but I thought I could condense it.
http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/700/test8se.th.png

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems that [tex]\ell[/tex] is the tangent line to the curve y=1/w^2 at the point w, and k is the x-intercept thereof. Hence

[tex]\ell : y-\frac{1}{w^2}=-\frac{2}{w^3}\frac{dw}{dt}(x-w)[/tex]

is the equation of the tangent line.

the x-intercept of the above line is k.

Since w=5 and [tex]\frac{dw}{dt}=7\frac{units}{sec}[/tex] we have...

Can you get it from here?

Hmm, I see where you got the equation for the line but now I'm a bit confused...

Would I use the equation of the line to find k and then take the derivative of k?( i get 7.5 that way as opposed to 10.5)

Last edited:
jesuslovesu said:
Hmm, I see where you got the equation for the line but now I'm a bit confused...
If you are a little bit confused, then you should check it up in your textbook, there should be a part that says:
The equation of the tangent line of the function f(x) at the point (x0, f(x0)) is:
y - f(x0) = f'(x0) (x - x0)
Would I use the equation of the line to find k and then take the derivative of k?( i get 7.5 that way as opposed to 10.5)
Yes, you need to express k in terms of w, then use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dk}{dt} = \frac{dk}{dw} \times \frac{dw}{dt}[/tex]
You were told that:
[tex]\frac{dw}{dt} = 5[/tex], so what you have to do now is to find k in terms of w, then differentiate k with respect to w to get:
[tex]\frac{dk}{dw}[/tex]
Do you know how to find k in terms of w?
Hint: k is the x-intercept of the tangent line at the point P(w, 1 / w2). And the tangent line is:
[tex]y - \frac{1}{w ^ 2} = \frac{-2}{w ^ 3} (x - w)[/tex]
--------------
[tex]k'_t(5) = k'_w(5) \times w'_t(5) = 7 k'_w(5) = ?[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)
--------------
@benorin:
I don't really understand this.
Why is there dw / dt in the tangent line equation?
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
@benorin:
I don't really understand this.
Why is there dw / dt in the tangent line equation?
Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything, I just goofed. It should be:

[tex]\ell : y-\frac{1}{w^2}=-\frac{2}{w^3}(x-w)[/tex]

as you pointed out.

related rates

To finish setting-up the related rates problem:

note that since k is the x-intercept of [tex]\ell[/tex], one may put y=0 and x=k into the above equation of the tangent line (a.k.a. [tex]\ell[/tex],) to get the following implicit relationship between w and k:

[tex] 0-\frac{1}{w^2}=-\frac{2}{w^3}(k-w)[/tex]

multiply by [itex]-w^3[/itex] to get

[tex] w=2(k-w)[/tex]

which simplifies to... :rolleyes: eh, you'll get it from here.

1. What is a tough derivative problem?

A tough derivative problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It requires knowledge of calculus and the use of derivative rules to solve.

2. Why are derivative problems considered difficult?

Derivative problems can be challenging because they often involve complex functions and require a thorough understanding of derivative rules and techniques. They also require careful attention to detail and can be time-consuming to solve.

3. How do I approach solving a tough derivative problem?

The first step in solving a tough derivative problem is to identify the function and the point at which the derivative is being calculated. Then, you can use derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule to simplify the function and find the derivative. It is also helpful to draw a graph of the function to better understand the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tough derivative problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tough derivative problem include incorrect application of derivative rules, not simplifying the function properly, and forgetting to evaluate the derivative at the given point. It is important to double-check your work and pay attention to detail to avoid these errors.

5. Are there any resources available to help me practice tough derivative problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks that provide practice problems and solutions for tough derivative problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a study group to improve your skills in solving these types of problems.