Solving Tough Differential Equations with Variation of Parameters | [SOLVED]

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary: I do know that x^2=-1 has no real solutions, but I was staring right at it and I didn't even think about it. I don't know what I was thinking. I must have been thinking outside the box. :?:In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with a difficult differential equation problem that required finding both the complimentary solution and particular solution using variation of parameters. The conversation included discussion of the student's attempt at the solution, with a focus on finding the correct roots and coefficients for the complimentary and particular solutions. Ultimately, the student made a mistake in identifying the roots of the equation, but was able to correct it with the help of the person they were conversing with.
hils0005
[SOLVED] Tough Diff EQ problem

Homework Statement

y^(4)-8y^(2)-9y=7e^(-3x)

y^(4)=fourth derivative, y^(2)=second deriv.

Homework Equations

Need to find complimentary solution and particular solution using variation of parameters

The Attempt at a Solution

r^4-8r^2-9=0
(r^2-9)(r^2+1)=0, r=9,-1

Y(c)=Ce^(9x)+Ce^(-x)

I think the comp soln is right, but I am unsure on how to start on Y(p)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about your homogenous solution? I suggest that you re-check your solutions of the indicial equation.

Last edited:
e^(-3x) right?

I tried taking the 4th deriv and 2nd deriv and plugging in which would equal

81e^-3x - 8(9e^-3x) - 9e^(-3x)=7e^(-3x)
but the left side = 0??

In reference to the PM, perhaps it would help if I draw your attention to the following lines
hils0005 said:
r^4-8r^2-9=0
(r^2-9)(r^2+1)=0
Good :approve:
hils0005 said:
r=9,-1
Not so, good. Notice the powers of r.

I'm quoting from the PM you sent me. As I said via PM, please note that in order to keep our assistance as transparent as possible, it is the policy of Homework Helpers not to provide tuition via PM.
hils0005 said:
sorry hoot,
its been along time since I have had to factor higher polynomials, I think this is correct:
Y(c)=(r-3)(r^3+3r^2+r+3)
(r-3)(r+3)(r^2+1), r=3, -3, 1+i
y(c)=Ce^(3x)+Ce^(-3x)+e^(x)cosx+e^(x)sinx

Then for Y(p) I would use Axe^(-3x) correct?
Now, in reference to your question,
hils0005 said:
Y(c)=(r-3)(r^3+3r^2+r+3)
(r-3)(r+3)(r^2+1), r=3, -3, 1+i
Better :approve:. However,
hils0005 said:
y(c)=Ce^(3x)+Ce^(-3x)+e^(x)cosx+e^(x)sinx
You need to be careful with your constant coefficients here. The coefficients of the two exponentials need not be equal. Furthermore, you are missing the coefficients of the trigonometric terms.
hils0005 said:
Then for Y(p) I would use Axe^(-3x) correct?
Yes, since e-3x has already been found to be a solution, you cannot use e-3x as your particular solution. Axe-3x would be the usual alternative.

dumb mistakes!
r=+/- 3, and 1+i
Y(c)=Ce^3x + Ce^-3x + Ce^(x)cosx + Ce^(x)sin(x)
Y(p) =Axe^-3x
y'(p) =Ae^-3x - 3Axe^-3x
y''(p) =-3Ae^-3x - 3Ae^-3x + 9Axe^-3x
y'''(p) =9Ae^-3x + 9Ae^-3x + 9Ae^-3x - 27Axe^-3x
y''''(p)=-27Ae^-3x -27Ae^-3x - 27Ae^-3x - 27Ae^-3x + 81Axe^-3x=
81AXe^-3x - 108Ae^-3x

substitute:
(81Axe^-3x - 108Ae^-3x)-8(9Axe^-3x - 6Ae^-3x) - 9(Axe^-3x)=7e^-3x

-60Ae^-3x=7e^-3x
-60A=7, A=-7/60

Answer:
y=C(1)e^3x + C(2)e^-3x + C(3)e^(x)cos(x) + C(4)e^(x)sinx - 7/60xe^-3x

does this look correct,

Last edited:
hils0005 said:
dumb mistakes!
r=+/- 3, and 1+i
Back up! Your original equation was [itex]r^4- 8r^2- 9= (r^2- 9)(r^2+ 1)= 0[/itex]
so [itex]r^2= 9[/itex] and [itex]r^2= -1[/itex]. The roots of the first of those are [itex]\pm 3[/itex] but the roots of the second are not [itex]1\pm i[/itex]!

the sqrt of -1= 1i correct-----ohhhhh wow that changes things:
e^(0)cos(x)+e^0sinx= C(3)cosx + C(4)sinx(x)
y=c(1)e^3x + c(2)e^-3x + c(3)cosx + c(4)sinx -7/60xe^-3x ??

HallsofIvy said:
Back up! Your original equation was [itex]r^4- 8r^2- 9= (r^2- 9)(r^2+ 1)= 0[/itex]
so [itex]r^2= 9[/itex] and [itex]r^2= -1[/itex]. The roots of the first of those are [itex]\pm 3[/itex] but the roots of the second are not [itex]1\pm i[/itex]!

:redface::shy::blushing:

That's really really really embarrassing.

Last edited:

1. What makes a Differential Equation problem "tough"?

A Differential Equation problem can be considered "tough" when it involves complex mathematical concepts, multiple variables, and non-linear relationships. Additionally, the initial conditions and boundary conditions for the problem may be difficult to determine or may involve a large number of variables.

2. How do you approach solving a tough Differential Equation problem?

The first step in solving a tough Differential Equation problem is to identify the type of equation and determine the appropriate method for solving it. This may involve using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration. Then, the problem can be broken down into smaller, more manageable steps and solved systematically.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving tough Differential Equation problems?

Some common mistakes when solving tough Differential Equation problems include not correctly identifying the type of equation, making errors in integration or substitution, and not considering all possible solutions. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure it aligns with the known properties of the equation being solved.

4. How can technology be used to assist in solving tough Differential Equation problems?

Technology such as graphing calculators, computer software, and online tools can be extremely helpful in solving tough Differential Equation problems. These tools can help with visualizing the problem, checking solutions, and performing complicated calculations. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind the problem and not rely solely on technology to solve it.

5. What are some real-world applications of tough Differential Equation problems?

Tough Differential Equation problems have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid flow, electrical circuits, and population dynamics. Solving these problems can provide valuable insights and predictions for real-world situations.