How can I solve this free undamped oscillations of an elastic beam equation?

In summary, the problem concerns the free undamped oscillations of an elactic beam, clamped at one end. The system is governed by a partial differential equation (one spatial dimension + time) which are to be solved by separation of the variables. The attempt at a solution is unsuccessful, and requires the use of a laplace transform and a backdifferentiation to get to a form in which the two constants can be eliminated and the equation solved. The roots of the equation determine the allowed values of \omega and thus \lambda.
Troels

Homework Statement

The problem concerns the free undamped oscialtions of an elactic beam, clamped at one end.
The system is governed by a partial differential equation (one spatial dimension + time) which are to be solved by separation of the variables.

Constants:

E Young's Modulus, Real, and positive
I: Moment of inertia, real and positive
L: Lenght of the beam, real and positive

Homework Equations

after some preparations, one ends with the following eigenvalue equation for the spatial component:

[tex] EI\frac{d^4}{dz^4}Z(z)=\lambda Z(z)[/tex]
Where lambda is the separation constant and eigenvalue of the problem
With the boundary conditions:

1. [tex]Z(0)=0[/tex]
  2. [tex]\left.\frac{d}{dz}Z(z)\right|_{z=0}=0[/tex]
  3. [tex]\left.EI\frac{d^2}{dz^2}Z(z)\right|_{z=L}=0[/tex]
  4. [tex]\left.EI\frac{d^3}{dz^3}Z(z)\right|_{z=L}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have now tried every trick 4 years of physics education have taught me, and I still cannot find any nontrivial solution to this equation. I only seem to get an insane misture of exponential functions, real and complex, with no obvious way to fit the BC's. Any thought or suggestions on how to tackle this one will be most helpfull.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you suspect there exists a function Z(z) satisfying the ODE and the boundary conditions...?

Exponentials seem right, if you can't make them satify the boundary conditions, there is not much more you can try.

Maybe you made same mistake when seperating the original PDE.

Pere Callahan said:
What makes you suspect there exists a function Z(z) satisfying the ODE and the boundary conditions...?

Nothing, except my professors persistent claim that there does and that we are to find it without his help for a graded hand-it problem due for monday the 14th.

Pere Callahan said:
Maybe you made same mistake when seperating the original PDE

That is possible, but unlikely, as I have seperatet quite a number of PDEs over the years. But if you would like to check, the original equation is

[tex]\rho A \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}x(z,t)+EI\frac{\partial^4}{\partial z^4}x(z,t)=0[/tex]

Then assume that [tex]x(z,t)=Z(z)T(t)[/tex]

Note that there is given no initial contitions on the temporal part, as we are only asked to find the periods of the oscilations (for which we need the eigenvalue) and their shape (for which we need a solution to the spatial part)

Troels said:
[tex] EI\frac{d^4}{dz^4}Z(z)=\lambda Z(z)[/tex]

I only seem to get an insane misture of exponential functions, real and complex …

Put µ^4 = λ/EI.

Then (d^4/dz^4)Z - (µ^4)Z

= [d^2/dz^2 + µ^2][d^2/dz^2 - µ^2]Z

= … ? :smile:

I assume that's what the OP did, getting

[tex]
Z(z)=A_\pm e^{\pm i \mu z}\text{ and } Z(z)=B_\pm e^{\pm \mu z}
[/tex],

the "insane mixture of exponentials." :smile:

Pere Callahan said:
I assume that's what the OP did, getting

[tex]
Z(z)=A_\pm e^{\pm i \mu z}\text{ and } Z(z)=B_\pm e^{\pm \mu z}
[/tex],

the "insane mixture of exponentials." :smile:

Well, I get a sum of cos sin cosh and sinh … I wouldn't call that insane … I end up with a formula for sinhµL/sinµL (… I think! :rolleyes:). :smile:

Are you assuming that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is positive or negative? The whole question was, for what values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] does this exist a non-trivial solution to the original equation that satisfies all the boundary conditions.

Okay, I think I got it now.

First, use a laplace transform method, as this can take care of BC 1 and 2 straight away. The solution is then:

[tex]Z(z)=c_1(\cosh(\omega z)-\cos(\omega z))+c_2(\sinh(\omega z)-\sin(\omega z)), \quad \omega = \sqrt[4]{\frac{\lambda}{EI}}[/tex]

(this can also be done using the exponential approach, but is is much more crumblesome)
Now, do a backdifferentiation, insert the remanings BCs and do about one page of closely packed calculations to eliminate the two constants and bring the equation on this form:

[tex]-\frac{2(\cosh(\omega L)\cos(\omega L)-1)}{\sinh(\omega L) - \sin(\omega L)} = 0[/tex]

The roots of this trancedental equation, which most of all resembles a Bessel function of the second kind determines the allowed (possitive) values of [tex]\omega[/tex] and thus [tex]\lambda[/tex]

What is a "Tough Differential Equation"?

A tough differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is considered "tough" because finding a solution or even understanding the behavior of the equation can be a difficult and complex process.

Why are "Tough Differential Equations" important?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world systems and phenomena, such as population growth, motion of objects, and electrical circuits. Tough differential equations allow us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems, making them crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some methods for solving "Tough Differential Equations"?

There are several methods for solving tough differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods may also be used. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its characteristics.

Can all "Tough Differential Equations" be solved analytically?

No, not all tough differential equations can be solved analytically (i.e. using algebraic methods). Some equations are too complex or have no known analytical solution. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution.

What are some common applications of "Tough Differential Equations"?

Tough differential equations have a wide range of applications in science, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They also play a crucial role in understanding complex physical phenomena such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.