Tough Function Using Differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function of the form f(x)=a+bcos(cx) that is tangent to two given lines at specific points. The problem involves differentiation and implicit differentiation, and two equations can be obtained for each "tangent at a point" restriction. This turns the problem into an algebra problem, which can be solved using techniques learned in a previous class. The conversation also includes a solution that violates the forum rules and is posted on a thread from two years ago.
MC Escher

Homework Statement

Find a function of the form f(x)=a+bcos(cx) that is tangent to the line y=1 at the point (0,1), and tangent to the line y=x+3/2-pi/4 at the point (pi/4, 3/2).

Homework Equations

I know that the problem involves differentiation and implicit differentiation. I don't really think there are many "equations" that I could give that would help, besides may the limit defintion.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made it very far, but I am quite sure you need to somehow separate a, b, and c and than eliminate c altogether. I also have been trying odd and even values for c...
all help is appreciated, thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
"Tangent at a point (a,b)" requires two degrees of freedom. The two curves have to both go through (a,b), and the two curves have to have the same deriviative.

This means that you will get two equations for each "tangent at a point" restriction. You've got two such restrictions, so you should be able to get 2x2 = 4 equations from the tangent restrictions.

There are only 3 unknown constants to solve for, a,b,c, so the problem might be over determined. In any case, this turns the problem from a calculus problem, which you are learning (i.e. find the slope of a curve), to an algebra problem (i.e. solve four equations in three unknowns) which you learned the technique in a previous class.

So go for it!

The tangency conditions give you requirements on the value of f(x) and f'(x) at various points. Write these equations down and if you are having problems people will try to help you. I'll get you started, f(0)=1.

thanks for the help so far...

y= 3/2 - (1/2)cos(2x)

holarjc said:
y= 3/2 - (1/2)cos(2x)

You are i) violating the forum rules by supplying an solution instead of hints on how to solve it (even if it is right, which I haven't checked) and ii) this thread is two years old. What's your point?

1. What is "Tough Function Using Differentiation"?

"Tough Function Using Differentiation" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, rates of change, and curve sketching.

2. How is "Tough Function Using Differentiation" different from regular differentiation?

"Tough Function Using Differentiation" is different from regular differentiation in that it involves more complex functions and techniques to find the derivative. It often requires the use of multiple differentiation rules and strategies, such as the chain rule and implicit differentiation.

3. Can "Tough Function Using Differentiation" be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, "Tough Function Using Differentiation" is frequently used in various fields of science and engineering to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to model and optimize the production process in a factory or to calculate the maximum profit for a business.

4. What are some common challenges when using "Tough Function Using Differentiation"?

Some common challenges when using "Tough Function Using Differentiation" include determining which differentiation rule to use, correctly applying the rules and techniques, and simplifying complex expressions. It also requires a solid understanding of algebra and calculus concepts.

5. How can I improve my skills in "Tough Function Using Differentiation"?

To improve your skills in "Tough Function Using Differentiation", it is important to practice solving a variety of problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes. It is also helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and rules of differentiation.