What is the Relationship Between Energy and Friction on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 750kg car coasting up a slope with an initial speed of 110km/h to a height of 22m. The question asks for the average force of friction. The person who posted the problem states that they have solved it entirely by themselves and have used methods involving force vector diagrams and energy. They also mention that they are required to post their attempt, even though they do not have a clear idea on how to solve it. The solution involves calculating the energy lost to friction and using it to find the friction force, with the final answer being the difference between the initial kinetic energy and the final potential energy divided by the distance travelled.
slaw155

Homework Statement

EDIT: I have solved it entirely myself.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
slaw155 said:

Homework Statement

A 750kg mass car with initial speed 110km/h coasts up a slope inclined at 2.5degrees to the horizontal to a height of 22m above its starting point. What is the average force of friction?

Homework Equations

No real clue about this one

The Attempt at a Solution

As above, I don't really have an idea on how to do this. I've drawn a force vector diagram and considered energy but can't seem to work it out.
Even so, you are required to post your attempt, so far as it goes.

haruspex said:
Even so, you are required to post your attempt, so far as it goes.

I have worked it out entirely using my own self-determined methods.

Last edited:
Without friction the initial KE should equal the final PE.

With friction, final PE should equal initial KE minus energy lost to friction- the friction force times the distance traveled.

So :

The initial KE - the final PE = the energy lost to friction
= ( ½ * m * v ² ) - ( m * g * h )
( Joules )

Over the length of the incline, the energy lost to friction = ( constant ) friction force * distance travelled
( the length of the incline = 22.0 / ( sine 2.5 ° ) )

So, then, the friction force must equal ( ( initial KE ) - ( final PE ) ) / distance travelled

Comments please.

What is a tough inclined plane problem?

A tough inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force and motion of an object on an inclined plane. It can be challenging because it requires an understanding of vector components, friction, and other concepts.

How do you solve a tough inclined plane problem?

To solve a tough inclined plane problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use trigonometry and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object.

What are some common mistakes when solving a tough inclined plane problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the force of friction, which can significantly affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane. Another mistake is not properly breaking down the force vectors into their horizontal and vertical components.

How can I make solving tough inclined plane problems easier?

Practicing with different types of inclined plane problems and understanding the underlying concepts can make solving these problems easier. It can also help to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to double-check your calculations.

What real-world applications involve tough inclined plane problems?

Inclined planes are commonly used in everyday life, such as ramps, hills, and even escalators. They are also used in engineering and physics to understand the motion of objects on sloped surfaces, such as in roller coasters and vehicle design.