1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough Indefinite Integral

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    A long time since i posted at physics forums. Anyways, try helping me solve the following integral

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x^{2n} + 1}dx[/tex]

I tried many ways but all futile. The best way with which i could come up was factorising the denominator by de moivre's theorem. By finding the 2nth roots of unity. Hence i was able to express the denominator in a better way. But thats it. Dead end. I dont why but i get a feeling that we may able to do the sum by that way.

I am sorry that i am not able to presnt much work to you.

Hoping that you may be able to do the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Well, according to the Mathematica online integrator, the result is a hypergeometric function. I believe you get this result by Taylor expanding in powers of x, doing the integral term by term, and then noticing that the result is a hypergeometric series.

http://integrals.wolfram.com

4. Dec 21, 2008 #3
    Mathematica sometimes even gives answers in complex numbers to a simple problem. And the answer which i have in the book is not a hypertrigo function. There should be a way to bring the answer without Taylor or Maclauren cause we havent been taught those yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?