Figuring Out a Substitution for an Integral Problem

In summary, it is recommended to use a substitution when encountering an integral with a variable inside a function. The process for figuring out a substitution involves identifying a suitable substitution and substituting the new variable into the integral. Not all integrals can be solved using a substitution, and other techniques may be more effective for certain types of integrals. Some common substitutions include u-substitution and trigonometric substitutions. When faced with a difficult integral problem, trying different substitutions, looking for patterns, and practicing can help in finding a suitable solution.
Zorba
I am trying to figure out which substitution to use to get this integral done:

[tex]\int \frac{du}{\sqrt{u-u^2} \cdot (1+ub)}[/tex]

When I plug it into Mathematica I get:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{4}{b+1}} \cdot \texttt{arctan} \left ( \sqrt{\frac{(b+1)u}{1-u}} \right )[/tex]

Any ideas about a suitable substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would complete the square in the square root: [itex]u- u^2= -(u^2- u+ 1/4- 1/4)= 1/4- (u- 1/2)^2[/itex].

Then let v= u- 1/2 so that u= v+ 1/2, 1+ ub= (1+ (1/2)b)+ bv.

Now the integral is
[tex]\int\frac{dv}{\sqrt{1/4- v^2}((1+ (1/2)b)+ bv)}[/tex]
and [itex]v= (1/2)sin(\theta)[/itex] looks like a plausible substitution.

1. How do I know when to use a substitution for an integral problem?

You should consider using a substitution when you encounter an integral with a variable inside a function, such as ∫f(x)dx. This is because a substitution can help you simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. What is the process for figuring out a substitution for an integral problem?

The first step is to identify a suitable substitution, which usually involves finding a pattern or relationship between the variable inside the integral and another variable. Then, you will need to substitute the new variable into the integral and rewrite it in terms of the new variable. Finally, you can solve the integral using the new variable and then substitute back in the original variable at the end.

3. Can any integral problem be solved using a substitution?

No, some integrals cannot be solved using a substitution. For example, if the integral involves a trigonometric function, a substitution may not be the most effective method. In those cases, other techniques such as integration by parts may be more useful.

4. What are some common substitutions used for solving integrals?

Some common substitutions include using u-substitution, where u is a function of the variable inside the integral, or trigonometric substitutions, where the variable is replaced by a trigonometric function such as sin or cos.

5. Are there any tips for figuring out a substitution for a difficult integral problem?

One tip is to try different substitutions until you find one that works. Another tip is to look for patterns or relationships within the integral, or to try using algebraic manipulation to simplify the integral before attempting a substitution. Practice and experience can also help in identifying suitable substitutions for different types of integrals.