1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough Integral

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral
    [tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm essentially integrating log|z| around a circle of radius 1 centered at -1. Evaluating at the endpoints gives a singularity, but I feel like that shouldn't matter since they are only the endpoints. I guess my main issue is I don't know how to integrate log|z|. I was inclined to say that:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}log(1 - cos(\theta))d\theta.[/tex]

Is this equality correct?

I also tried u-du substitution with [itex]u = e^{i\theta} - 1[/itex] and [itex]d\theta = \frac{du}{i(u - 1)}[/itex], but then when I update the limits of integration I get that I'm integrating from zero to zero, I know there's a conceptual issue which explains why that happens and how rectify it, but I still don't understand it.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    In the complex plane, log is a multivalued function. You can try defining a branch cut. I checked the solution on Mathematica, and it returned 0 as well.

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    I don't think so. I get:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \log\left|e^{it}-1\right|dt=\int_0^{2\pi}\left[\log \sqrt{2}+1/2 \log \left(1-\cos(t)\right)\right] dt[/tex]

5. May 12, 2012 #4
    [tex]
    \vert e^{i \theta} - 1 \vert = \sqrt{(\cos \theta - 1)^2 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sqrt{2 \, (1 - \cos \theta)} = \sqrt{2 \, 2 \, \sin^{2} \frac{\theta}{2}} = 2 \, \left\vert \sin \frac{\theta}{2} \right\vert
    [/tex]

But, if [itex]0 \le \theta \le 2 \pi[/itex], then [itex]\sin \frac{\theta}{2} \ge 0[/itex], and the absolute sign is unimportant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook