Evaluating the Integral \int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Thus, the integral is zero everywhere except at the endpoints. In summary, the integral evaluates to 0 except for the endpoints.
Poopsilon

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm essentially integrating log|z| around a circle of radius 1 centered at -1. Evaluating at the endpoints gives a singularity, but I feel like that shouldn't matter since they are only the endpoints. I guess my main issue is I don't know how to integrate log|z|. I was inclined to say that:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}log(1 - cos(\theta))d\theta.[/tex]

Is this equality correct?

I also tried u-du substitution with [itex]u = e^{i\theta} - 1[/itex] and [itex]d\theta = \frac{du}{i(u - 1)}[/itex], but then when I update the limits of integration I get that I'm integrating from zero to zero, I know there's a conceptual issue which explains why that happens and how rectify it, but I still don't understand it.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poopsilon said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm essentially integrating log|z| around a circle of radius 1 centered at -1. Evaluating at the endpoints gives a singularity, but I feel like that shouldn't matter since they are only the endpoints. I guess my main issue is I don't know how to integrate log|z|. I was inclined to say that:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log|e^{i\theta}-1|d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}log(1 - cos(\theta))d\theta.[/tex]

I also tried u-du substitution with [itex]u = e^{i\theta} - 1[/itex] and [itex]d\theta = \frac{du}{i(u - 1)}[/itex], but then when I update the limits of integration I get that I'm integrating from zero to zero, I know there's a conceptual issue which explains why that happens and how rectify it, but I still don't understand it.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

In the complex plane, log is a multivalued function. You can try defining a branch cut. I checked the solution on Mathematica, and it returned 0 as well.

Poopsilon said:
[

I don't think so. I get:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \log\left|e^{it}-1\right|dt=\int_0^{2\pi}\left[\log \sqrt{2}+1/2 \log \left(1-\cos(t)\right)\right] dt[/tex]

[tex]
\vert e^{i \theta} - 1 \vert = \sqrt{(\cos \theta - 1)^2 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sqrt{2 \, (1 - \cos \theta)} = \sqrt{2 \, 2 \, \sin^{2} \frac{\theta}{2}} = 2 \, \left\vert \sin \frac{\theta}{2} \right\vert
[/tex]

But, if [itex]0 \le \theta \le 2 \pi[/itex], then [itex]\sin \frac{\theta}{2} \ge 0[/itex], and the absolute sign is unimportant.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating this integral?

The purpose of this integral is to find the area under the curve of the function f(x) = log|e^(ix)-1| from x = 0 to x = 2π. This can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the function, and can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How is this integral evaluated?

This integral can be evaluated using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It may also involve converting the complex logarithm function into its real and imaginary parts, and then integrating separately.

3. What are the possible values of the integral?

The integral can have a range of values depending on the limits of integration, the properties of the function, and the method used for evaluation. However, it is known that the integral will always be a real number, as the function is real-valued within the given limits.

4. What are the applications of this integral in science?

Integrals are used in a wide range of scientific fields, and this particular integral can be applicable in areas such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to model and analyze various phenomena involving periodic functions, such as oscillations and waves.

5. What are the implications of the result of this integral?

The result of this integral can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the function, and can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the phenomenon being studied. It can also be used to validate or disprove mathematical models and theories.