Solving a Tricky Integral Problem

• Thread starter melknin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is that the user is trying to solve an integrands of a rational function but they are not quite understanding what is happening. They suggest looking up a book on contour integration.
melknin
I'm working on a problem that I've almost completed except for a single integral that I can't seem to figure out. I can plug it into mathematica and get the answer, but I'd really like to know how to work it out. So if anyone can walk me through it, I'd appreciate it.

[tex]\int\frac {k(\sin^2\theta-\cos^2\theta-k\sin^4\theta)} {(1-k\sin^2\theta)^{\frac {3}{2}}} d\theta [/tex]

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica says the solution is:

[tex]-\frac{k \sin 2\theta}{\sqrt{4 - 2k + 2k \cos 2\theta}}[/tex]

That doesn't give you a method, though.

It may or may not help to simplify it to something like

[tex] k\int {\frac{{\cos {2\theta } - k\sin ^4 \theta }}
{{\left( {1 - k\sin ^2 \theta } \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} }}d\theta } [/tex]
or
[tex] k\int {\frac{{\sin ^2 \theta \left( {1 - k\sin ^2 \theta } \right) - \cos ^2 \theta }}{{\left( {1 - k\sin ^2 \theta } \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} }}d\theta } [/tex]

*Well...it still feels like I'm missing something obvious ~

Last edited:
This looks like a prime candidate for contour integration on the complex plane...

James Jackson said:
This looks like a prime candidate for contour integration on the complex plane...

Ahh--no wonder my CalcII couldn't do it! :tongue2:

And I thought it was a basic CalcII integral! :grumpy:

Last edited:
Thing is, contour integrals deal with definite integration. The integral stated has no limits...

Limits

Hmm, don't think I've learned about contour integration yet. I'll look that up. I didn't mention it before, but the integral I'm working with actually does have limits from 0 to [tex]\phi[/tex] if that helps.

Now, just one piece here:
By the identity [tex]\sin^{2}\theta=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]
the denominator of the integrand may be rewritten as:
[tex](1-k\sin^{2}\theta)^{\frac{3}{2}}=\frac{(4-2k+2k\cos(2\theta))^{\frac{3}{2}}}{8}[/tex]
since [tex]4^{\frac{3}{2}}=8[/tex]

Perhaps I'll try to do something further later on.

Last edited:
melknin said:
Hmm, don't think I've learned about contour integration yet. I'll look that up. I didn't mention it before, but the integral I'm working with actually does have limits from 0 to [tex]\phi[/tex] if that helps.

Does phi have an upper limit? You've got to be careful with contour integration with the values of functions, what with functions such as log z being multi-valued at certain points (leading to lovely things such as branch points, Reimann surfaces, that kind of jazz).

I suggest Boas (Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences) for an introduction to Contour Integration (look at Cauchy Residue Theorem - an integral and beautiful part of solving things like this).

Integrals of type [tex]\int R(\sin x, \cos x)dx[/tex], where R is rational function are solved by following substitution [tex]\tan \frac{x}{2}=t[/tex], thus, [tex]\sin x=\frac{2t}{1+t^2},\quad \cos x=\frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2},\quad dx=2\frac{dt}{1+t^2}[/tex], and the previous integral is reduced to integral of a rational function which I hope you know how to solve.

Hmm, that seems to make sense, but it gets me to an integral I'm not having much more luck with. The only thing I can think of is some other subsitution that I can't figure out.

[tex] - 2k\int {\frac{{t^8 - 4t^6 + 2(8k - 5)t^4 - 4t^2 + 1}}{{(1 + t^2 )^3 (1 - \frac{{4kt^2 }}{{(1 + t^2 )^2 }})^\frac {3}{2} }}} [/tex]

Making [tex] u=1 - \frac{{4kt^2 }}{{(1 + t^2 )^2 }} [/tex] almost seems to work, but not quite. Any advice on what to do from here?

Last edited:
I've misread your integral, it has [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] exponent in denominator so it is irational not rational function. I guess I'll have to take paper and pencil. If I get to some solution, I will post it.

What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to find the total value of a function over a given interval, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What makes an integral problem "tricky"?

An integral problem is considered "tricky" when it cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques, such as the power rule or substitution. These problems often require more advanced techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions.

What are some strategies for solving tricky integral problems?

Some strategies for solving tricky integral problems include identifying patterns, using trigonometric identities, applying integration techniques in a creative way, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

Are there any resources available to help with solving tricky integral problems?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online integral solvers, textbooks, and video tutorials. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a math tutor or professor.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky integral problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving tricky integral problems include forgetting to use the chain rule when integrating a composite function, not simplifying expressions before attempting to integrate, and making algebraic errors when manipulating the integral. It is also important to double check the final answer using differentiation to ensure accuracy.