How Does the Mean Value Theorem Apply to Square Root Functions?

In summary, the Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove that 1/11 < sqrt(102) - 10 < 1/10. The choice of interval (100,102) can be inspired by noticing the connection between 10 and sqrt(100). The notation lim (x->c+) f'(x) and f'+(x) = lim (h->0+) [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h refer to the same thing, the right-hand derivative of f, but they may not always be equal if f' is not continuous.
kingwinner
1) By applying the Mean Value Theorem to f(x)=sqrt x, show that 1/11 < (sqrt 102) -10 < 1/10.

This is a sample problem in my course, and how to start this problem is the key thing.
The solution says "f is continuous and differentiable for all x>0, so by the mean value theorem, there exists c E (100,102) such that (conclusion of mean value theorem)...etc"

Say if you have never seen such a problem before, how can you get the inspiration to pick the interval (100,102) and not something else? How is it even possible to know this ahead of time before you start the proof? Can someone teach me the logic of this choice and most importantly, how you arrived at the choice of picking this particular interval? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:
1) By applying the Mean Value Theorem to f(x)=sqrt x, show that 1/11 < (sqrt 102) -10 < 1/10.

This is a sample problem in my course, and how to start this problem is the key thing.
The solution says "f is continuous and differentiable for all x>0, so by the mean value theorem, there exists c E (100,102) such that (conclusion of mean value theorem)...etc"

Say if you have never seen such a problem before, how can you get the inspiration to pick the interval (100,102) and not something else? How is it even possible to know this ahead of time before you start the proof? Can someone teach me the logic of this choice and most importantly, how you arrived at the choice of picking this particular interval? Thank you very much!
Your problem says [itex]1/11< \sqrt{102}- 10< 1/10[/itex]. How much "inspiration" does it take to see that [itex]10= \sqrt{100}[/itex]. Certainly, if I see something involving [itex]\sqrt{102}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{100}[/itex], it wouldn't take me long to think, "Hey, I'll try applying [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] to the interval from 100 to 102!"

ok, I think you are right, it seems easier now...

Can I ask another question?

Are lim (x->c+) f'(x) and f'+(x)=lim (h->0+) [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h exactly the same thing? (namely, the right hand derivative of f)?

I have seen someone writing lim (x->c+) f'(x), but I have never seen someone writing in this form...so I don't quite understand its meaning, and whether or not it is equal to the right hand derivative of f??

If f has a derivative at c, then, yes, they are the same thing. The derivative of a function is not necessarily continuous (in which case it would follow immediately that the two one sided limits are equal), but it does satisfy the "intermediate value property" (If f(a)= p and f(b)= q, then f takes on every value between p and q on the interval (a, b).). If the derivative exists, then the two one sided limits must exist and be the same.

if the question was posted like this will it be enough to answer the question. Thanks in advanced

1. Use the Mean Value Theorem to prove that 1/11<sqrt(102)-10<1/10

kingwinner said:
ok, I think you are right, it seems easier now...

Can I ask another question?

Are lim (x->c+) f'(x) and f'+(x)=lim (h->0+) [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h exactly the same thing? (namely, the right hand derivative of f)?

I have seen someone writing lim (x->c+) f'(x), but I have never seen someone writing in this form...so I don't quite understand its meaning, and whether or not it is equal to the right hand derivative of f??
No, they are not the same thing in all cases.

lim (x->c+) f'(x) is the limit of the derivative of f as x approaches c from the right.

f'+(x)=lim (h->0+) [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h is the right-hand derivative of f. I'm assuming you mean that x=c here.

They will be the same if f' is continuous, but derivatives are not necessarily continuous.

[Edit] For a counterexample, consider f(x) = x^2 sin(1/x) if x /= 0, f(0) = 0. Then f'(0) exists and is 0, but lim x->0 f'(x) does not exist.

As Halls said, they are the same IF both limits exist. But that's not necessarily the case.
[/edit]

Last edited:

What is the Tough Mean Value Theorem?

The Tough Mean Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within that interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

What makes the Tough Mean Value Theorem a difficult problem?

The Tough Mean Value Theorem can be a difficult problem because it requires a rigorous understanding of the concepts of continuity, differentiability, and average rate of change. It also involves applying the concept of the Intermediate Value Theorem, which can be challenging for some students.

Can the Tough Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Tough Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the conditions of being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If a function does not meet these criteria, then the theorem cannot be used to find the desired point of equality.

How is the Tough Mean Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Tough Mean Value Theorem has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is often used to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, based on its position and acceleration over a given interval. It is also used in economics to find the average rate of change of a quantity over a specific time period.

Are there any variations of the Tough Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are variations of the Tough Mean Value Theorem, such as the Cauchy Mean Value Theorem and the Lagrange Mean Value Theorem. These variations have slightly different conditions and conclusions, but they all revolve around the concept of a function having equal derivative and average rate of change at a specific point.