Tough oscillations question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a thin uniform rod pivoted without friction and a horizontal light spring attached to its lower end. The goal is to show that for small oscillations, the rod will undergo simple harmonic motion with a period of 2π√M/3k. The calculation involves finding the couple acting on the rod and using the small angle approximation. There is also a note about using correct notation, including superscripts.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

The figure shows a thin uniform rod of mass M and length 2L that is pivoted without friction about an axis through its midpoint.A horizontal light spring ofspring constant k is attached to the lower end of the rod.The spring is at its equilibrium length when the angleθ with respect to the vertical is zero.Show that for oscillations of small amplitude, the rod will undergo SHM with a period of 2π√M/3k. The moment of inertia of the rod about its midpoint is ML2/3.(Assume the small angle approximations)

The Attempt at a Solution

My book gives the following answer but is not indepth, could someone help me out by going through step by step how they came to this answer...

Couple acting on rod = −kLsinθ×Lcosθ=−kL2θ for smallθ.
Hence, I(d^2θ/dt^2)=−kL^2θ

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. My telepathic powers are limited, however, so I can't see the figure clearly. Is the spring dangling loose or is it attached to something fixed :smile: ?

As I said, limited powers, so I can't read what you intended to fill in under 2., either. Could you oblige ?

Then: the english word for couple is torque.

I think I've solved it, never mind, thanks for your offer

You should also learn to use superscripts. L2 and L2 are not the same thing.

or (d^2θ/dt^2)+(kL^2/I)θ=0
Hence ω=√kL^2/I
i.e. T=2π√I/kL^2=2π√M/3k

I would like to first clarify the assumptions made in this problem. The small angle approximation assumes that the angle θ is small enough that the sine and cosine functions can be approximated by their linear terms. This allows us to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

Now, let's break down the solution step by step:

1. The first step is to find the couple (torque) acting on the rod. This is done by using the formula for torque, τ = r x F, where r is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the force. In this case, the force is the tension in the spring, and the distance is Lsinθ (the vertical component of the distance from the pivot to the spring).

2. Next, we use the small angle approximation to simplify the equation and get rid of the sine and cosine terms. This allows us to rewrite the torque as -kL2θ.

3. Using Newton's second law, F=ma, we can write the equation of motion for the oscillations as Ma = -kL2θ, where M is the mass of the rod and a is the acceleration.

4. We can rewrite this equation as a differential equation, (d2θ/dt2) + (kL2/I)θ = 0, where I is the moment of inertia of the rod about its midpoint, ML2/3.

5. Solving this differential equation, we get the angular frequency ω = √kL2/I. This is the frequency at which the rod will oscillate.

6. Finally, we can use the formula for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator, T = 2π/ω, to get the period of oscillation as T = 2π√I/kL2 = 2π√M/3k, using the given values for I and L.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the steps taken to solve this problem. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions made and to use the correct equations and formulas to arrive at the correct solution.

What are tough oscillations?

Tough oscillations refer to a type of oscillatory motion that is characterized by high amplitude and frequency, making it difficult to predict or control.

What causes tough oscillations?

Tough oscillations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, changes in energy levels, or nonlinearities in the system.

How do you measure tough oscillations?

Tough oscillations can be measured using various methods, such as recording the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of the system over time.

What are the applications of tough oscillations?

Tough oscillations have a wide range of applications, including in engineering, physics, and biology. They can be used to study and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

How do you mitigate tough oscillations?

There are various methods for mitigating tough oscillations, such as using dampers or control systems, adjusting the system parameters, or implementing feedback control.