1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough physics problems

1. Nov 6, 2003 #1
    The Earth orbits the Sun once a year at a distance of 1.50x1011 m. Jupiter orbits the Sun at distance of 7.78 x 1011 m. These distances are between the centre of the planet and the sun. How long ( in earth days ) does it take for Jupiter to make one orbit around the Sun?

T(period = 8.64E4 sec) = 2πr^(3/2)/√(GMearth)

i have tried adding and subtracting the two radiis together and then plugging it into the equation...however it is incorrect....i am either not understanding the problem or is it just human error....?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi mobius,

We welcome homework problems here, in the Homework Help forum. We also ask that you attempt the problems first, and show us your work up to the point where you get stuck.

- Warren
  4. Nov 6, 2003 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the body (the pilot), then tell us what you know about acceleration, circular motion, and Newton's laws!
  5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    Hint: You use keplers third law where (time period)^2= (radius of orbit)^3
  6. Feb 2, 2012 #5
    if I'm not understanding wrong, we have to find the 'relative' time period of the planet w.r.t earth. Here relative means : let car A & B start from pt. P in diff. Circles with diff. Speeds. Now relative time period will be that when both will reach pt. Again simultans. To do this problem u can take the help of concept of beats from waves.
    Therefore use this:
    1/T=1/T1 - 1/T2
    Where T1 , T2 are the periods of earth and jupiter resp.
    Tell me if it's right
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?