Calculating Jupiter's Orbital Period Around the Sun: A Physics Problem

In summary, the Earth orbits the Sun at a distance of 1.50x1011 m and it takes one year to complete one orbit. Jupiter orbits the Sun at a distance of 7.78 x 1011 m and it takes a period of 8.64E4 sec to complete one orbit. To find the relative time period of Jupiter, we can use Kepler's third law and the concept of beats from waves, which is represented by the equation 1/T=1/T1 - 1/T2. This will give us the time period of Jupiter relative to Earth.
mobius
The Earth orbits the Sun once a year at a distance of 1.50x1011 m. Jupiter orbits the Sun at distance of 7.78 x 1011 m. These distances are between the centre of the planet and the sun. How long ( in Earth days ) does it take for Jupiter to make one orbit around the Sun?

T(period = 8.64E4 sec) = 2πr^(3/2)/√(GMearth)

i have tried adding and subtracting the two radiis together and then plugging it into the equation...however it is incorrect...i am either not understanding the problem or is it just human error...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mobius,

We welcome homework problems here, in the Homework Help forum. We also ask that you attempt the problems first, and show us your work up to the point where you get stuck.

- Warren

Originally posted by mobius
i cannot manipulate the formula in order to solve this, maybe it's because i do not understand the problem fully...i just need an explanation on setting this up...much appreciated

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the body (the pilot), then tell us what you know about acceleration, circular motion, and Newton's laws!

Hint: You use keplers third law where (time period)^2= (radius of orbit)^3

if I'm not understanding wrong, we have to find the 'relative' time period of the planet w.r.t earth. Here relative means : let car A & B start from pt. P in diff. Circles with diff. Speeds. Now relative time period will be that when both will reach pt. Again simultans. To do this problem u can take the help of concept of beats from waves.
Therefore use this:
1/T=1/T1 - 1/T2
Where T1 , T2 are the periods of Earth and Jupiter resp.
Tell me if it's right

1. What makes a physics problem "tough"?

A tough physics problem is one that requires a high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. These problems often involve complex mathematical equations, abstract concepts, and real-world applications.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for tough physics problems?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills for tough physics problems is to practice regularly. This can include solving similar problems, working through practice tests, and seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. Are there any strategies for approaching tough physics problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help with solving tough physics problems. These include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, visualizing the problem, and using real-life examples to better understand the concepts.

4. What resources are available to help with tough physics problems?

There are many resources available to help with tough physics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can I stay motivated when faced with tough physics problems?

Staying motivated when faced with tough physics problems can be challenging, but setting small goals, taking breaks, and seeking support from peers or mentors can help. It can also be helpful to remember the bigger picture and the real-world applications of the concepts being studied.