Does a 150 HP Car Engine Suffice for Uphill and Acceleration Tasks?

• Thread starter Shadowsol
  • Start date
In summary, the car would require 700 Newtons of power to climb the hill and 6 seconds to reach the speed of 110 km/hr on a level road. If the car's engine is rated at 150 HP, it would be able to accomplish both tasks.
Shadowsol
1. I have this tough question on power and work.
"Calculate the power required of a 1400 kg car under the following circumstances a) the car climbs a 10 degree hill at a constant velocity of 80km/hr. b) the car accelerates along a level road from 90 to 110 km/hr in 6 seconds. Assume in both cases that the retarding force on the car is 700 Newtons.(air resistance and friction). Calculate the power in HP. Assume that only 60% of tehcars engine delivers power to the wheels. If the cars engine is rated a 150 HP, does it have enough power to accomplish both tasks?

2. W=FD P=W/T P=VF KE=.5m(v(squared)

3. I don't really know how to start. I can't seem to get the force in the first scenario of the hill. Would the force be 700 Newtons? as there is a -700 Newton force acting on it?
so 700*cos10*d = work. I don't know what D is though. Or can I use the Ke equation to get the work of the first situation? Would the angle affect that answer in anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one the car has a mass and is climbing a hill, so pesky gravity is going to be trying to drag it down the hill(ALSO with that 700 Newton force). You can calculate the force of gravity exerted on the car parallel to the slope like I'm sure you've done 5 dozen times in previous problems. You know the car is traveling at a constant velocity, so the NET force must be 0.

For the second one, you know its kinetic energy changes, so you know Ki and Kf so you can find _____ and you know time so you can find ____

Last edited:
Ok, for the first part, i got Fa= 3131 N. I did Fa-700-mgsin10=0, than solved. I don't know the d however, so I don't know how to solve for work, which is what I need.

Also, is the 60% engine part extra information I don't need? For the final part do I combine the total work of both situations than divide it by t? I don't know what t is of the first part however.

1. What is a tough power/work problem?

A tough power/work problem is a challenging situation where an individual or group must use their physical, intellectual, or emotional strength to overcome obstacles and achieve a desired outcome.

2. How do you approach a tough power/work problem?

The approach to a tough power/work problem will vary depending on the specific situation, but generally involves identifying the problem, breaking it down into smaller manageable tasks, and utilizing problem-solving skills and determination to find a solution.

3. What are some common examples of tough power/work problems?

Some common examples of tough power/work problems include completing a physically demanding task, solving a complex mathematical equation, overcoming a personal fear or challenge, or navigating a difficult social or work situation.

4. How can one develop the skills to tackle tough power/work problems?

Developing the skills to tackle tough power/work problems takes practice and determination. Some ways to develop these skills include setting challenging goals, trying new things, seeking out mentors or role models, and learning from past experiences.

5. How do you maintain motivation when facing a tough power/work problem?

Maintaining motivation when facing a tough power/work problem can be difficult, but some strategies include reminding yourself of the end goal, taking breaks and practicing self-care, seeking support from others, and celebrating small accomplishments along the way.