Tough problem involving algebra

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation \int_a^b \! x \, \mathrm{d} x = \frac{b^2-a^2}{2} using Riemann sums. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and discussing the limits and sums involved in the solution. Ultimately, the solution involves taking the limit of the partial sums as n approaches infinity.
autodidude

Homework Statement

Original problem asked me to prove [tex]\int_a^b \! x \, \mathrm{d} x = \frac{b^2-a^2}{2}[/tex] using Riemann sums. I've already seen a simpler formula using the left side of the rectangles but I'm curious as to how you would manipulate the formula below by hand to get the answer

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}[\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a][\frac{b-a}{n}][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

pages and pages of algebra leading nowhere!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write that thing into
[tex] I = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} [\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a](\frac{b-a}{n})
= a(b-a) \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n} + (b-a)^2 \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{i}{n^2}
[/tex]
Now, can you evaluate the sums and then take the limits?

Could you please explain how you got that?

I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate the last limit/sum but does everything else evaluate to just [tex]a(b-a)+(b-a)^2[/tex]?

autodidude said:

I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate the last limit/sum but does everything else evaluate to just [tex]a(b-a)+(b-a)^2[/tex]?
No, it doesn't. What are [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n}[/itex] and [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex]?

I don't know - the only way I know how to interpret the first one right now is to divide 1 into n parts but then I'm not sure what to do so it becomes an infinitely small number if n->infinity. I guess it would be the same for the second one but it gets smaller faster

autodidude said:

The first sum evaluates to 1 but the second does not. http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/gausss-day-of-reckoning/ might help.

consider this instead...[itex]I_{n} = \sum_{i=0}^{n} [\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a](\frac{b-a}{n})
= \frac{a(b-a)}{n} \sum_{i=0}^{n} 1 + \frac{(b-a)^2}{n^2} \sum_{i=0}^{n} i[/itex]
now we know adding 1 n times... is n, how about adding numbers from 1 to n? know any relevant formulas for that?
once you simplify the expression to only relying on n, take the limit of [itex]I_n[/itex] as n goes to infinity
you have to remember, your sums arent over n, they are over i, so n can be take out front

I'm quite sure the formula is [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I tried subbing that in and after some algebra, I've got this:

[tex]\frac{(b-a)^2}{2}+\frac{b^2-a^2}{2n}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Also, when you write the sigmas out without the limits, does n just become some arbitrary integer? And is there any difference between writing a sigma with infinity on top and writing sigma with an n but with lim(h->infinity)?

autodidude said:
I'm quite sure the formula is [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I tried subbing that in and after some algebra, I've got this:

[tex]\frac{(b-a)^2}{2}+\frac{b^2-a^2}{2n}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Yeah except you of course should have b2-a2, not (b-a)2. Then just take limit n→∞.

autodidude said:
Also, when you write the sigmas out without the limits, does n just become some arbitrary integer? And is there any difference between writing a sigma with infinity on top and writing sigma with an n but with lim(h->infinity)?

Infinite sums are always defined as that limit so there's no worries there. You want to find the n:th partial sum, and then take the limit.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of equations using symbols and variables.

2. What makes a problem involving algebra difficult?

A problem involving algebra may be considered tough if it requires multiple steps and concepts to find a solution, or if it involves complex equations or unknown variables.

3. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, it is important to practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts such as order of operations, solving equations, and manipulating variables. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources for additional support.

4. Can algebra be used in real-life situations?

Yes, algebra has practical applications in various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving equations, ratios, and proportions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems include incorrect use of parentheses, forgetting to apply the distributive property, and not simplifying fractions. It is also important to check your work and verify that your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.