1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TOUGH QUESTION: Rotational Kinematics

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    MY Question was answered!! thanks to those who posted...i got the right answer from the book!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: To create the artificial gravitational force what must the centripetal acceleration of the space station be? How fast must the station be rotating to achieve this centripetal acceleration?

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    ohhhhhhhhh good one

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you need to know anything about the centripetal acceleration? The artificial gravity would not have to be the same as earth's gravity.

6. Oct 30, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, I was wrong. This should be treated as a conservation of angular momentum problem. Good Catch Dan, apologies to chee.

7. Oct 30, 2006 #6
    ok but how do i discern the what the masses are used for?? is the angular moment L = Iw ?

8. Oct 30, 2006 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what I is initally. You should be able to figure out what I is if everyone is in the center. You should also be able to figure out what I is if everyone is on the outer shell.

You know Iw is constant (angular momentum is constant), so put I when everyone is in the middle over I when everyone is on the outside, you get w when everyone is on the outside over w when everyone is inside

9. Oct 30, 2006 #8
    this is extremely clear...will try this when i get home later today! thanks and if have any probs check your PM...if you choose to :smile:

10. Oct 30, 2006 #9
    hey it's fine! no worries

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?