How Does Conservation of Angular Momentum Apply to Rotational Kinematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of creating artificial gravity and the factors that affect it such as centripetal acceleration and conservation of angular momentum. The conversation also mentions the use of masses and the calculation of angular momentum in achieving artificial gravity. The conversation ends with a friendly exchange and a plan to try out the suggested solution later.
cheechnchong
MY Question was answered! thanks to those who posted...i got the right answer from the book!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: To create the artificial gravitational force what must the centripetal acceleration of the space station be? How fast must the station be rotating to achieve this centripetal acceleration?

Hootenanny said:
HINT: To create the artificial gravitational force what must the centripetal acceleration of the space station be? How fast must the station be rotating to achieve this centripetal acceleration?

ohhhhhhhhh good one

Hootenanny said:
Why do you need to know anything about the centripetal acceleration? The artificial gravity would not have to be the same as Earth's gravity.

OlderDan said:
Why do you need to know anything about the centripetal acceleration? The artificial gravity would not have to be the same as Earth's gravity.
Indeed, I was wrong. This should be treated as a conservation of angular momentum problem. Good Catch Dan, apologies to chee.

Hootenanny said:
Indeed, I was wrong. This should be treated as a conservation of angular momentum problem. Good Catch Dan, apologies to chee.

ok but how do i discern the what the masses are used for?? is the angular moment L = Iw ?

You know what I is initally. You should be able to figure out what I is if everyone is in the center. You should also be able to figure out what I is if everyone is on the outer shell.

You know Iw is constant (angular momentum is constant), so put I when everyone is in the middle over I when everyone is on the outside, you get w when everyone is on the outside over w when everyone is inside

Office_Shredder said:
You know what I is initally. You should be able to figure out what I is if everyone is in the center. You should also be able to figure out what I is if everyone is on the outer shell.

You know Iw is constant (angular momentum is constant), so put I when everyone is in the middle over I when everyone is on the outside, you get w when everyone is on the outside over w when everyone is inside

this is extremely clear...will try this when i get home later today! thanks and if have any probs check your PM...if you choose to :smile:

Hootenanny said:

hey it's fine! no worries

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of these objects as they rotate.

2. How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

While linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular or curved path. This means that rotational kinematics involves studying angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, rather than linear displacement, linear velocity, and linear acceleration.

3. What is the equation for rotational kinematics?

The equation for rotational kinematics is θ = ωt + ½αt², where θ is angular displacement, ω is angular velocity, α is angular acceleration, and t is time. This equation is similar to the equation for linear kinematics, but it uses angular instead of linear quantities.

4. What are some real-world examples of rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics can be seen in many everyday activities, such as swinging on a playground swing, spinning a top, or throwing a frisbee. It is also essential in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, and in designing and analyzing machines like gears and turbines.

5. How does rotational motion affect an object's kinetic energy?

Rotational motion can affect an object's kinetic energy by changing its rotational kinetic energy. As an object rotates faster, its rotational kinetic energy increases, and as it slows down, its rotational kinetic energy decreases. This means that rotational motion can have a significant impact on the overall kinetic energy of an object.