Can Synthesis of http://harishkukreja.neargeek.net/Synthesis.jpg be Achieved?

• Thread starter SplinterIon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary: It is. Thanks for the write up!In summary, the synthesis can be done in 12 steps, but there are some tricky steps involved.
SplinterIon
Hey y'all

I'm wondering whether it's possible for the following synthesis to occur and how?:

http://harishkukreja.neargeek.net/Synthesis.jpg

The thing is, after bashing my head against it for about 2 hrs - I've really gotten nowhere :cry: . A few of the rxn's we're allowed to use are:

Hydrogenation (except you can't undo it :grumpy: )
Halogenation + De
Hydrohalogenation + De
Oxidation (KMnO4)
Ozonation (O3)
Esterification
Amide formation
Reduction (LiAlH4 and/or NaBH4).
Hydration + De (H2SO4 conc/dilu.)

Using dehydration + 2*oxidation + esterification I can change the double bond to the bottom chain. using a similar process also yields the top (though in an isomer form). I'm however badly stuck when dealing with the middle section - further the double reactive sites are also bugging me - and blocking isn't really helping me.

Any help would be appreciated and I will worship you forever o:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How about cleaving the double bond first, through oxidation. You'll have two carbonyl sites. Note that the left carbonyl created from this is part of an enolate derivative. Using a suitable base, perform the intramolecular condensation reaction, the alpha carbon will react with ring carbon #3 (the other newly formed carbonyl group). This will give you the exact ring structure you need. We'll go on from here.

I'm just going to clarify a bit more...KMn04 oxidative conditions, claisen condensation, and we can go on from there...if you're still around

I'm sorry for the delay - forgot I posted the question on the site :rolleyes:

I figured it out (double checked with an independent source) - and I'll post it as soon I have access to my scanner (~Monday). Turned out to be relatively easy after the 2 tricky initial steps. In total there are 12 steps to the synthesis. I was told there were would be about 10-15 depending on the way one would go about it - so I'm happy with the result. If you can do it in less than 10 I'm interested :cool:

Thanks for your help though.

yeah, be sure to post the results, as I'm sure that many here are interested, I want to see if you're first two steps corresponds with mine.

Here it is - just in skeletal format after dashing it off in a few minutes. If you spot any error, chalk it down to being in a rush - unless of course it's a major error, then please do tell. Ignore the term "possibility" - the synthesis continues from the last diagram to "#1" onwards (I just got lazy to draw the rings for each). See the first message for the inital and final diagrams.

Attachments

• ChemSynth.jpg
    ChemSynth.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 545
You've got a Bredt's rule violation in there. The dehydration won't work.

http://www.iupac.org/goldbook/B00732.pdf

We were never taught or exposed to Bredt's rule in class (lowly high school kid) - so thank you for pointing that out. What would you suggest I do to rectify the situation?

I dunno. It's a tough question. I came up with an very different route from yours which takes 7 steps, but there are one or two steps that I don't really like myself.

I can't think of an easy solution to your dehydration problem though. Sorry.

since when did they start teaching organic chemistry in high school? I'll try taking a stab at this problem when I have the time.

@ movies: could you please post your 7 step one - would like to see it (don't personally care if it works or not - just would like to learn something from it). Furthermore, just talked to my teacher, apparently he doesn't care about the violation - didn't even expect anyone to find out that problem.

GCT said:
since when did they start teaching organic chemistry in high school?

AP chemistry class - and the teacher is a bit of organic junkie - apparently it was what he did for his masters.

Alright, just don't go trying to pass it off as your own work. ;D

I'd bet you've never even seen 4 of these 7 reactions before.

The problems I see are with the isomers in the Baeyer-Villiger oxidation (it'd probably favor the undesired product) and with saponifying the lactone without saponifying the methyl ester. It might work though...

I hope it's helpful to you.

Attachments

• synth.gif
    synth.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 596

1. Can synthesis of http://harishkukreja.neargeek.net/Synthesis.jpg be achieved?

Yes, it is possible to achieve synthesis of http://harishkukreja.neargeek.net/Synthesis.jpg through various methods and techniques in the field of science.

2. What is synthesis in scientific terms?

Synthesis in scientific terms refers to the process of combining different elements or compounds to create a new substance with unique properties.

3. Why is synthesis important in scientific research?

Synthesis is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to create new substances or materials that may have practical applications in various fields such as medicine, technology, and materials science.

4. What are the different methods of synthesis?

There are several methods of synthesis, including chemical synthesis, biological synthesis, and physical synthesis. Chemical synthesis involves combining different chemical compounds to create a new substance. Biological synthesis uses living organisms or their components to create new substances. Physical synthesis involves the use of physical processes like heating or cooling to create new materials.

5. What are the challenges in achieving synthesis of complex molecules?

The challenges in achieving synthesis of complex molecules include the difficulty in controlling the reactions and conditions necessary for the synthesis, the cost and availability of materials, and the complexity of the molecules themselves. Additionally, the synthesis of complex molecules often requires multiple steps and can be time-consuming and labor-intensive.

Back