Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough Synthesis

1. Jun 9, 2005 #1
    Hey y'all

I'm wondering whether it's possible for the following synthesis to occur and how?:

http://harishkukreja.neargeek.net/Synthesis.jpg

The thing is, after bashing my head against it for about 2 hrs - I've really gotten nowhere :cry: . A few of the rxn's we're allowed to use are:

Hydrogenation (except you can't undo it :grumpy: )
    Halogenation + De
    Hydrohalogenation + De
    Oxidation (KMnO4)
    Ozonation (O3)
    Esterification
    Amide formation
    Reduction (LiAlH4 and/or NaBH4).
    Hydration + De (H2SO4 conc/dilu.)

Using dehydration + 2*oxidation + esterification I can change the double bond to the bottom chain. using a similar process also yields the top (though in an isomer form). I'm however badly stuck when dealing with the middle section - further the double reactive sites are also bugging me - and blocking isn't really helping me.

Any help would be appreciated and I will worship you forever o:)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about cleaving the double bond first, through oxidation. You'll have two carbonyl sites. Note that the left carbonyl created from this is part of an enolate derivative. Using a suitable base, perform the intramolecular condensation reaction, the alpha carbon will react with ring carbon #3 (the other newly formed carbonyl group). This will give you the exact ring structure you need. We'll go on from here.

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm just going to clarify a bit more...KMn04 oxidative conditions, claisen condensation, and we can go on from there....if you're still around

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4
    I'm sorry for the delay - forgot I posted the question on the site :rolleyes:

I figured it out (double checked with an independent source) - and I'll post it as soon I have access to my scanner (~Monday). Turned out to be relatively easy after the 2 tricky initial steps. In total there are 12 steps to the synthesis. I was told there were would be about 10-15 depending on the way one would go about it - so I'm happy with the result. If you can do it in less than 10 I'm interested :cool:

Thanks for your help though.

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah, be sure to post the results, as I'm sure that many here are interested, I want to see if you're first two steps corresponds with mine.

7. Jun 14, 2005 #6
    Here it is - just in skeletal format after dashing it off in a few minutes. If you spot any error, chalk it down to being in a rush - unless of course it's a major error, then please do tell. Ignore the term "possibility" - the synthesis continues from the last diagram to "#1" onwards (I just got lazy to draw the rings for each). See the first message for the inital and final diagrams.

Attached Files:

8. Jun 14, 2005 #7

movies

Science Advisor

9. Jun 14, 2005 #8
    We were never taught or exposed to Bredt's rule in class (lowly highschool kid) - so thank you for pointing that out. What would you suggest I do to rectify the situation?

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

movies

Science Advisor

I dunno. It's a tough question. I came up with an very different route from yours which takes 7 steps, but there are one or two steps that I don't really like myself.

I can't think of an easy solution to your dehydration problem though. Sorry.

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

since when did they start teaching organic chemistry in high school? I'll try taking a stab at this problem when I have the time.

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11
    @ movies: could you please post your 7 step one - would like to see it (don't personally care if it works or not - just would like to learn something from it). Furthermore, just talked to my teacher, apparently he doesn't care about the violation - didn't even expect anyone to find out that problem.

AP chemistry class - and the teacher is a bit of organic junkie - apparently it was what he did for his masters.

13. Jun 16, 2005 #12

movies

Science Advisor

Alright, just don't go trying to pass it off as your own work. ;D

I'd bet you've never even seen 4 of these 7 reactions before.

The problems I see are with the isomers in the Baeyer-Villiger oxidation (it'd probably favor the undesired product) and with saponifying the lactone without saponifying the methyl ester. It might work though....

I hope it's helpful to you.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?