1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough trig equation

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0 : solvable?

Is this equation solvable? I've been banging my head on it for the past half hour and don't know how to start.

20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0

Also, this started out as a physics question, but seeing as this is just math stuff now I thought I'd put it here. I know all the physics was done correctly, so this is how it should end up.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can solve it. Write sin(x)=sqrt(1-cos(x)^2). Now write the equation as 20sinx=4cosx+13 and square both sides. You should get a quadratic equation for cos(x). Solve it.

4. Mar 16, 2008 #3
    Oh wow, that's brilliant!!! Thanks, Dick. I'm going to put that in my trig solving strategy log :)

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

It should be mentioned that the two methods, which are essentially different ways of making the same manipulation, will give you two answers: the first because it yields a quadratic equation, the second because equations of the form

A sin x + B cos x = C

can be transformed (using the identity GibZ refers to) into the form

sin (x + phi) = K

and can be solved if |K|<=1 .

You will need to check the results against your original problem to see which solution (or perhaps both) applies to the situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?