Solve Trig Equation 20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0

• Thread starter maphco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the solvability of the equation 20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0 and provides a strategy for solving it. The strategy involves rewriting the equation and using trigonometric identities to transform it into a quadratic equation. The conversation also mentions checking the solutions against the original problem to determine which one is applicable.
maphco
20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0 : solvable?

Is this equation solvable? I've been banging my head on it for the past half hour and don't know how to start.

20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0

Also, this started out as a physics question, but seeing as this is just math stuff now I thought I'd put it here. I know all the physics was done correctly, so this is how it should end up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can solve it. Write sin(x)=sqrt(1-cos(x)^2). Now write the equation as 20sinx=4cosx+13 and square both sides. You should get a quadratic equation for cos(x). Solve it.

Oh wow, that's brilliant! Thanks, Dick. I'm going to put that in my trig solving strategy log :)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trigonometry:Trigonometric_Identities_Reference

The first one in "Sum to product" should help in these questions =]

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be mentioned that the two methods, which are essentially different ways of making the same manipulation, will give you two answers: the first because it yields a quadratic equation, the second because equations of the form

A sin x + B cos x = C

can be transformed (using the identity GibZ refers to) into the form

sin (x + phi) = K

and can be solved if |K|<=1 .

You will need to check the results against your original problem to see which solution (or perhaps both) applies to the situation.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, tangent) and unknown variables. The goal is to find the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and find the value(s) of the variable(s).

3. What is the general strategy for solving trigonometric equations?

The general strategy for solving trigonometric equations is to first use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and find the value(s) of the variable(s). Finally, check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they make the equation true.

4. How do you solve the trigonometric equation 20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0?

To solve this equation, we first need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the trigonometric functions on one side and the constant on the other side. Then, we can use the Pythagorean identity (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1) to simplify the equation. This will result in a quadratic equation, which can be solved using factoring, the quadratic formula, or graphing. Once we have found the solutions, we can check them by plugging them back into the original equation.

5. What are the solutions to the trigonometric equation 20sinx - 4cosx - 13 = 0?

The solutions to this equation are x = 0.367 and x = 4.114. These solutions can be found by using the general strategy for solving trigonometric equations (isolating the variable, simplifying using trigonometric identities, and solving the resulting quadratic equation). These solutions can be checked by plugging them back into the original equation, which will result in 0 = 0 for both solutions.