Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough verbal analogy. Can you solve it?

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    PCi5JA7.png

There it is. I'll congratulate the solver upon discovering the solution.

Hint: the answer is not a one-, two-, three-, or four-letter solution.

Good luck.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

wet

I win!!! :-)

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3
    "wet" is a three-letter solution - which is incorrect. The hint stated that one-letter, two-letter, three-letter, and four-letter answers are not correct.

Try as many times as you like.

5. Dec 18, 2014 #4
    "Pale" should be correct, except for the prohibition on four letters, so maybe it's "pallid"?

6. Dec 18, 2014 #5

berkeman

drenched :-)

7. Dec 18, 2014 #6
    "pale", "pallid" and "drenched" are not solutions.

It's a tough analogy. ;)

8. Dec 18, 2014 #7
    Wrinkle?

9. Dec 18, 2014 #8

berkeman

Or cancer ...

10. Dec 18, 2014 #9
    "wrinkle" and "cancer" are not solutions.

11. Dec 18, 2014 #10
    angle has 5 letters

12. Dec 18, 2014 #11
    "angle" is not a solution.

This is not your everyday analogy. May have to resort to thinking outside the box...

13. Dec 18, 2014 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Clothes?

14. Dec 18, 2014 #13
    "clothes" is not a solution.

15. Dec 18, 2014 #14
    Instead of saying "x is not the solution," tunma keeps saying "x is not a solution." Therefore, I wonder if the correct answer is something that would be classified as a solution, i.e. a homogenous mixture of two or more substances.

16. Dec 19, 2014 #15
    The only hint I have provided is that the solution is not a one-letter, two-letter, three-letter, or four-letter (proposed) solution.

I leave open the possibility of a better alternative answer, but I assure you that THE solution to this problem is extremely difficult. I'd say an IQ above Mensa level is required at minimum to find it.

17. Dec 19, 2014 #16

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

There are plenty of those here. However, I don't know how many have the time and patience for this sort of puzzle.

I'd say that since "sun" dries things and "rain" does the opposite, one would expect "tan" (which darkens or colours things) to be similarly related to an opposite like "bleach" (which lightens or fades things). I've not spotted anything about the letters or words which looks like a strong pattern (e.g. numeric equivalents or parts of related words), and I don't think "arctan" (as the inverse of "tan") would make much sense.

18. Dec 19, 2014 #17
    I agree, which is why I thought some might like the challenge and fun of this humble puzzle.

"bleach" and "arctan" are not solutions.

19. Dec 19, 2014 #18
    I have 2 answers
    1. If there is more sun(shine) than rain, one can get a tan. here the answer is sunbathing, or perhaps even summer.
    2. The sun ejects cahrged material, some of which falls back to the sun. The falling back part is called coronal rain, which may be an answer. Since this episode occuring on the sun is witnessed by high ultraviloet, one can also get a tan. Perhaps solar flare is the answer.

20. Dec 19, 2014 #19
    "shine", "bathing", "sunshine", "sunbathing" are not solutions.
    "coronal", "solar", "flare", "coronal rain", and "solar flare" are not solutions.

Hint 2: the solution does not have spaces between separate values. I.e., if a word is a string of symbols, then the solution cannot be multiple separate strings.

21. Dec 19, 2014 #20
    Does finding the answer depend on sheer cleverness or is some specialized knowledge required?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook