Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough wave energy integral

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    I'm having a hard time evaluating this integral.

A Gaussian pulse [tex]\psi (y,t) = Ae^{-( \frac{y-ct}{a} )^2}[/tex] is travelling in an infinite string of linear mass density [tex]\rho[/tex], under tension [tex]T[/tex].

I know the Kinetic Energy is the integral of the partial: [tex]\frac{\rho}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t})^2 dy[/tex]. I evaluate the partial, and this simplifies to [tex]\frac{\rho}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (\frac{2c(y-ct)}{a^2} \psi)^2 dy[/tex].

I don't know where to proceed from here. I tried u-substitution, and integration by parts, with no success. I think the error function is useful in this, but we haven't covered this in the physics course yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Integral is of the form [itex]\int x^2 e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] notice that this is the same as [itex] \int x (x e^{-x^2})dx[/itex] where the term between brackets is easy to integrate. Now use partial integration.

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    Oh stupid me. That wasn't tough at all. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook