What is the Toughest Material? Carbon-Fiber Nano Tubes & Brittle Materials

• Thread starter jmarcian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, toughness is determined by the area under the stress strain diagram and refers to the amount of energy a material can absorb before failure. Steel is considered the toughest material based on an Ashby chart of toughness, with TRIP steels having a KIC exceeding 200 MPa-m1/2. Carbon-fiber nano tubes cannot be classified as brittle or ductile yet, and brittle materials are usually not as tough as ductile ones.
jmarcian
"toughest" material

by terms of "mechanics" (physics, not the ones that work on your car). toughness is shown as the area under the curve of a stress strain diagram. from the we can say that this material offers a high ultimate strength, but also can strain a fair amount before breaking...
with that definition, what would you say the "toughest" material is?

also, would carbon-fiber nano tubes be considered brittle or ductile?

also, can brittle materials be as tough as ductile ones?

thanks
jared

Engineering news on Phys.org

I'll nominate steel for toughest material (based on an Ashby chart of toughness).

Toughness is basically the specific amount of energy a material can absorb before it fails.

I don't think you can classify nano-tubes as either since we can't manufacturer them in a pure lattice form yet.

And no, brittle materials are usually not as tough as ductile ones.
Mapes said:
I'll nominate steel for toughest material (based on an Ashby chart of toughness).

I seriously doubt that.

If I had to guess I would say Kevlar.

Why guess? TRIP steels have a KIC exceeding 200 MPa-m1/2. Which Kevlar composite exceeds this?

What is the toughest material?

The toughest material is a material that is able to withstand high forces and resist breaking or deforming.

What are carbon-fiber nano tubes?

Carbon-fiber nano tubes are tiny cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms that are incredibly strong and lightweight.

How are carbon-fiber nano tubes used?

Carbon-fiber nano tubes are used in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and sports equipment, for their high strength-to-weight ratio.

What makes carbon-fiber nano tubes so tough?

Carbon-fiber nano tubes have a unique structure that allows them to distribute stress evenly, making them highly resistant to breaking or deforming.

What are brittle materials?

Brittle materials are materials that are prone to breaking or shattering when subjected to stress or impact, such as glass or ceramics.