Math Tour: Explore Math Fields & Prepare for Grad School

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter NotGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, NG is looking for a book that provides a broad overview of different areas of math, in order to find a specific field to pursue. They are currently taking Calc III and have taken a course on proofs. They are also interested in any recommendations for self-study in preparation for a math major and grad school. One suggestion is The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, which offers short articles on various branches of math with minimal prerequisites. Another recommendation is a paper by Jaffe titled "Ordering the Universe: The role of mathematics" which provides a good overview of math in different fields.
NotGauss
Hello,

I am looking for a book that has sections on different areas of math. I’ve browsed through a few discrete math books but they have something similar to this but not at the level I am looking for.

Essentially, I would like the book to serve as a tour if you will, so I can try and find a field that looks interesting and then dive into the field with a proper book.

For reference to math level, I am currently taking Calc III and have taken a course on proofs.

Thanks,
NG

Edit: So I thought I’d add this as well, I plan to major in mathematics and hopefully attend grad school in mathematics. If there is something looking back you would recommend for yourself to study on your own that would be great too!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might like The Princeton Companion to Mathematics. It is a collection of many short articles about all sorts of branches of math, written by experts in the field. There will be parts that you won't understand with your background, but I think many of the articles do a good job of introducing the subject with minimal prerequisites.

Likes pbuk, econreader, NotGauss and 2 others
I enjoyed a paper written by Jaffe about 1984 that gives a good overview of mathematics.
I downloaded the paper from the web so I know you can get the pdf. The was written for SIAM
The paper is called

Ordering the Universe: The role of mathematics
Jaffe, A

I found the paper is a good tour of math and where it fits into many fields

Good Luck.

Likes NotGauss and vanhees71
Thanks for the replies, I check both out.

1. What is the purpose of Math Tour?

The purpose of Math Tour is to provide students with an opportunity to explore various fields of mathematics and prepare for graduate school. It aims to help students gain a better understanding of the different areas of mathematics and to prepare them for the rigors of graduate level courses.

2. Who can participate in Math Tour?

Math Tour is open to undergraduate students in any major who have an interest in mathematics and are considering pursuing graduate studies in the field. It is also beneficial for students who are currently enrolled in a mathematics program and want to gain a deeper understanding of the different areas of mathematics.

3. How long is Math Tour?

Math Tour typically lasts for one week, but the duration may vary depending on the specific program. Some programs may last for two weeks, while others may be shorter, lasting only a few days. The duration of the program will be specified in the program details.

4. What can I expect to learn from Math Tour?

During Math Tour, you can expect to learn about various fields of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and more. You will also have the opportunity to work on problem-solving skills, participate in group discussions and activities, and receive guidance on preparing for graduate school.

5. How can I apply for Math Tour?

You can apply for Math Tour by visiting the program's website or contacting the program coordinator. The application process may vary depending on the specific program, but it typically involves submitting an application form, transcripts, and letters of recommendation. It is important to check the application deadlines and requirements for each program.