Tourist being chased by BEAR OH NO Help please

• Thread starter Skully7780
  • Start date
In summary, a tourist being chased by a bear reaches their car safely while running at a speed of 4.76 m/s. The bear is 38.2 m behind the tourist and running at 6.07 m/s. The maximum possible value for the distance between the car and the tourist is d. It is recommended for the tourist to understand the problem and attempt to solve it themselves, rather than simply asking for the answer.
Skully7780
Tourist being chased by BEAR! OH NO! Help please :)

Homework Statement

A tourist being chased by an angry bear is running in a straight line toward his car at a speed of 4.76 m/s. The car is a distance d away. The bear is 38.2 m behind the tourist and running at 6.07 m/s. The tourist reaches the car safely. What is the maximum possible value for d?

Homework Equations

Please explain how you got the answer please. :)

The Attempt at a Solution

My sisters problem about 10 states away. She needs your help :) Any phiysics is over my head. Not sure if this forum will even help since I see you have to do your own work first.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I fear you won't get a reply unless you get your sister to try to explain her attempts at a solution or to come and post the problem on here herself.

F it? I was not not F-ing it in the first place... it's all good and well saying 'Tell me the answer to this problem' but it will do no good unless the answer's understood, so i was reluctant say owt...

hope your sis finds whozum and thebob useful..

1. What should I do if I encounter a bear while hiking?

If you encounter a bear while hiking, it is important to remain calm and avoid making sudden movements. Slowly back away while facing the bear and try to make yourself look larger by raising your arms or waving an object. If the bear starts to approach you, make loud noises or use bear spray if you have it. Do not run away or climb a tree, as bears are faster and better climbers than humans.

2. What is the best way to prevent a bear encounter while camping?

The best way to prevent a bear encounter while camping is to properly store your food and scented items. Use bear-proof containers or hang your food in a tree at least 10 feet off the ground and 4 feet away from the trunk. Also, keep a clean campsite and dispose of trash properly. Bears are attracted to food and can become aggressive if they smell it.

3. What type of bears are commonly found in tourist areas?

In North America, the two most common types of bears found in tourist areas are black bears and grizzly bears. Black bears are smaller and more timid, while grizzly bears are larger and more aggressive. It is important to know which type of bear is prevalent in the area you are visiting and to understand their behavior.

4. How can I tell if a bear is about to attack?

A bear may attack if it feels threatened or is protecting its cubs or food. Signs that a bear may be about to attack include standing on its hind legs, making loud huffing or growling noises, or charging towards you. If you encounter a bear exhibiting these behaviors, it is important to stay calm and follow the appropriate safety protocols.

5. Is it safe to take photos of bears while on a hiking trail?

No, it is not safe to take photos of bears while on a hiking trail. It is important to give bears their space and avoid approaching or disturbing them. Taking photos of bears can also attract their attention and potentially lead to a dangerous encounter. It is best to observe and appreciate bears from a safe distance.