Advice for Sean's PhD Journey in the UK

• Programs
  • Thread starter feely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Uk
In summary, Sean is currently pursuing a non-Honours degree in electrical engineering and wants to work towards a PhD in physics. His original plan was to transfer to a Honours engineering degree, then possibly a masters in physics and then a PhD. However, he discovered that some universities offer a postgrad diploma that only requires a non-Honours degree and can lead to an MSc with a research element. Someone suggested that this route may not be the best and Sean is considering transferring to an Honours course, even though it would mean a few extra years at the undergraduate level. He also mentions the possibility of research council funding requiring a minimum 2(i) undergrad grade. Sean's current college does not offer a Honours course in his
feely
Hello,

I am looking for some advice.

I am currently studying towards a non-Honours degree in electrical engineering. I would like to work towards a PhD in physics. My original plan was to finish my current degree, transfer across to a honours engineering degree, them maybe to a maters in physics and then to a PhD.

However, as I was checking out different university sites, I seen that there was some that offered a postgrad diploma which only needed a non honours degree to get a place. From there you could (it seems, if you do well) get onto the MSc (the only difference between the PGDip and the MSc is the MSc has a research element!).

However, when I explained this to someone, they seemed to think that this would be a bad route to take, that I would be better trying to get onto an honours course etc. But this will mean an extra few years at an undergrad level.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts on the non-honours -> PGDip -> MSc -> PhD route?

Thanks

Sean

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about engineering, but one thing to think about for the future is that research council studentships require a minimum 2(i) undergrad grade. This can be bumped down to a 2(ii) with a good master's degree, but people with third class degrees don't qualify for research council funding, so I don't think it would be too hopeful for someone with an ordinary degree.

Of course, this may be irrelevant in engineering fields, since I'm not sure where the funding comes from, but it's something to research.

Is there any reason why you're on an ordinary programme at the moment? Can you not change onto the honours programme at your current university?

cristo said:
I don't know anything about engineering, but one thing to think about for the future is that research council studentships require a minimum 2(i) undergrad grade. This can be bumped down to a 2(ii) with a good master's degree ...

You know what, I had never thought of that. For that reason alone, it probably would be better to transfer to an honours course!

Is there any reason why you're on an ordinary programme at the moment? Can you not change onto the honours programme at your current university?

The college I am at at the minute doesn't run a honours course in anything I would be interested in. But there are other universities close by that do, so transferring shouldn't be a major thing (fingers crossed)

1. What are the key challenges faced by PhD students in the UK?

The key challenges faced by PhD students in the UK include managing time effectively, dealing with the pressure of conducting original research, maintaining a work-life balance, securing funding, and navigating the complex academic system.

2. How can Sean make the most out of his PhD experience in the UK?

To make the most out of his PhD experience in the UK, Sean can actively network with other researchers and attend conferences, seek mentorship and guidance from experienced academics, participate in interdisciplinary collaborations, and take advantage of the resources and support offered by his university.

3. What are some tips for staying motivated during a PhD in the UK?

Some tips for staying motivated during a PhD in the UK include setting achievable goals, taking breaks and practicing self-care, seeking support from friends and family, joining a peer support group, and reminding oneself of the ultimate goal and the impact of their research.

4. How important is it for Sean to publish during his PhD in the UK?

Publishing during a PhD in the UK is highly important as it demonstrates the quality and originality of Sean's research, enhances his academic profile, and increases his chances of securing future funding and career opportunities.

5. What advice can you give Sean for successfully defending his PhD thesis in the UK?

To successfully defend his PhD thesis in the UK, Sean should thoroughly prepare by seeking feedback from his supervisor and peers, familiarizing himself with the format and expectations of his university, and practicing his presentation and defense. He should also be open to constructive criticism and be able to articulate the significance and impact of his research.