Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toxicity of Jealousy

1. Oct 21, 2003 #1

When considering all the various emotions that we as people demonstrate, Jealousy seems to me to be the most counter productive.

As an energy it is self destructive and very corrupting.

Jealousy is not just restricted to it's usual context but can be seen in so many ways. Intellectual jealousy, money jealousy, freedom jealousy etc etc.

I was wondering what other forum members had to say about this rather insane emotion we so often feel and how it equates to it's brother envy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2003 #2
    I don't know what to say in regards to jealousy, but I think that denial is even worse state of mind.
  4. Oct 22, 2003 #3
    jealousy/envy... one of the 7 deadly sins...

i think in small doses, its encouraging, makes a person work a little harder for things, gives them goals and whatnot.

other than that, i can't really say. I'm not a terribly jealous person, so i'm not too familiar with it. I think it may sort of coincide with Pride, which i see as one of the worst of the deadly sins.
  5. Oct 22, 2003 #4
    Jealousy can beget humility. I once coveted a woman who preferred another man, perhaps in part to hurt me. I was angry and pained, but before two weeks were over, they had broken up their immature relationship. My friendship with both of them still lasts, but their mutual contact discontinued years ago.
  6. Oct 22, 2003 #5
    What's the difference between jealousy and envy?

I do realise that envy can be quite constructive at times but I can think of no instance where jealousy is.
  7. Oct 23, 2003 #6
    1a. Intolerant rivalry or unfaithfulness b. disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
    2. hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
    3. vigilant in guarding a possesion
    1. painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage
    2. (I didn't understand what it was saying)
    3. an object of envious notice or feeling

Courtesy of http://www.m-w.com, though I've obviously paraphrased.
  8. Oct 23, 2003 #7

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me, for I am a jealous God...."
  9. Oct 24, 2003 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Please explain how this is constructive.
  10. Oct 24, 2003 #9

Well, you can either say this this helped construct an awesome machine of destruction of other cultures by the use of the Inquistion, missionaries and the rest, or you can say that it help construct a path to get people closer to "god".

Depends on your interpretation, of course.
  11. Oct 27, 2003 #10
    Dont think thats what he means

From what I understand, in the Bible, (which I believe is where you got this from) the words are very old, and may have had slightly different meanings at the time the bible was written. The word jealous is, of course, is the word I'm talking about.
  12. Oct 27, 2003 #11
    "Jealous" can also mean "competative" (as for loyalty).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?