Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toy car on potential energy

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    Hey guys...
    Is it possible to make a car running on only potential energy stored in it,..well the path is supposed to be horizontal & only the initial impulse is allowed.Also the vehicle is supposed to follow a certain path without any inputs while cruising.The path is supposed to be around 50 feet long and elliptical.
    Any suggestions are welcome

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The power bit is easy. Just use a spring, a falling weight, a flywheel, a rubber band, or if you're feeling sneaky, a battery.

What are your constraints for the path following? You could use an electronic system, - either tracking or with the path pre-programmed, or just a mechanical guide. Let us know more about your task.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I understand that "initial impulse" constraint. Also, what size car are we talking about here? As brewnog implied, you could buy yourself a nice electric car and drive it 100 miles, but I suspect that wouldn't fit with the spirit of what you are trying to do...

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Just in case the term 'inputs' includes electronic signals or mechanical interference such as a track, then you might have to work a timed steering mechanism into the design. You could get a circular path by using different sized wheels on each side, but elliptical would be pretty tough. :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?