1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toy Dart Gun

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    Okay here is the problem:
    A dart gun is fired while being held horizontally at a height of 1.55 m above ground level, and at rest relative to the ground. The dart from the gun travels a horizontal distance of 7.77 m. A child holds the same gun in a horizontal position while sliding down a 39.7 degree incline at a constant speed of 0.869 m/s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

What horizontal distance "x" will the dart travel if the child fires the gun forward when it is 1.1m above the ground? Answer in units of m.

I tried finding out how fast the boy would be traveling in the x direction by using: sin 39.7 * 0.869 m/s but once I have that information, I don't know what to do with it. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Should you use the sine or cosine to find the x-component of the child's velocity?

From the information provided in the first part, can you determine the muzzle velocity of the dart gun?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?