Toy Gyroscope Problem: Finding Angular Speed and Upward Force | Homework Help

• Thread starter EvanQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary, the problem involves finding the upward force exerted by the pivot and the angular speed of the rotor in revolutions per minute, given the mass and moment of inertia of the rotor, the mass of the frame, the distance of the center of mass from the pivot, and the precession rate of the gyroscope. The relevant equations include angular momentum and acceleration equations and the conversion between revolutions per second and radians per second.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

The rotor (flywheel) of a toy gyroscope has mass 0.140 kilograms. Its moment of inertia about its axis is 1.20x10^{-4} kilogram meters squared. The mass of the frame is 0.0250 kilograms. The gyroscope is supported on a single pivot with its center of mass a horizontal distance 4.00 centimeters from the pivot. The gyroscope is precessing in a horizontal plane at the rate of one revolution in 2.20 seconds.

yf_Figure_10_49.jpg

Find the upward force exerted by the pivot.

Find the angular speed omega at which the rotor is spinning about its axis, expressed in revolutions per minute.

Homework Equations

angular momentum and acceleration equations eg:
w = O / t
w= w0 + at
O = w0t + ½ at^2
w^2 = w0^2 + 2aO

The Attempt at a Solution

having a lot of trouble determining what information is relevant in this question...very little idea how to go about it sorry.

i think it has to do with L = Iw, with I being 1.2x10^4, but I'm unsure of how to get the angular velocity, and after that the force they are asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCB250??
bahahaha
now guess why I am here...

You will have to change (Big Omega) O from rev/2.2s into rad/s : O = 2pi/2.2s = 2.856 rad/s.
The upward force is equal to the weight because the gyroscope is not moving sideways, up or down so Fx = 0, and Fy = 0. Hence n = w = (m_rotor + m_frame)*9.8.

We know that O = T/L (where Torque: T = radius * w and L = I * w (small omega))

I is given with 1.2E^-4 kg*m^2.

There's an equation that tells you that L = I*w here so you just have to find the L from the equations above and then isolate w(small omega) from L = I * w(small omega).

then you'll get some number but you will have to answer in rev/min and remember that O is given in rev/2.2s but you changed it to 2.856rad/s

I have to admit that I'm in trouble finding the answer in rev/min if somebody could point out the right way to do so.

well evanQ, guess who had two attempts left when doing that. then i got the right answer! but it wasnt it revolutions per minute. so i had to convert it...and i MULTIPLIED BY 60 INSTEAD OF DIVIDED! ahhh! soooooo annoyed.

anywho, that's all in the past...now there another one to worry about. where we get marks taken off for getting multichoice wrong, nooooooo

1. What is a toy gyroscope and what is the problem associated with it?

A toy gyroscope is a spinning toy that can balance on its tip due to the principle of angular momentum. The problem with toy gyroscopes is that they tend to precess, or slowly tilt, over time, making it difficult to keep them balanced.

2. Why do toy gyroscopes precess?

Toy gyroscopes precess due to external forces such as friction, air resistance, and imperfections in the toy's construction. These forces cause the gyroscope's axis of rotation to shift, leading to precession.

3. How can the precession of a toy gyroscope be minimized?

The precession of a toy gyroscope can be minimized by reducing external forces such as friction and air resistance. This can be achieved by using a smooth surface for the toy to spin on and making sure the toy is balanced and well-constructed.

4. Can the precession of a toy gyroscope be completely eliminated?

No, the precession of a toy gyroscope cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced to a minimal level by minimizing external forces and ensuring the toy is well-made and properly balanced.

5. Are there any practical applications of the toy gyroscope problem?

While the toy gyroscope problem may seem like a purely recreational issue, it has practical applications in fields such as aerospace and navigation. Understanding the principles of precession can help engineers design more stable systems for satellites and aircraft.