Calculating Acceleration of a Toy Plane Flying in a Circle

In summary, the toy plane starts from rest and flies around a circle with a radius of 2m three times in 3 seconds. There is a constant tangential acceleration and at 0.5 seconds, the acceleration is found to be 78.96 m/s^2. The velocity at 0.5 seconds is 12.56631 m/s and the distance traveled in 3 orbits is 37.699m. The magnitude of the acceleration can also be computed using the Pythagorean theorem.
starstruck_
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
Question: Starting from rest, the toy plane flies around a circle of radius 2m, three times in 3 seconds. There is constant tangential acceleration, fins the magnitude of the acceleration at the end of 0.5s.

My solution (most likely wrong):

Circumference= 2pir= 4pi= 12.56631

Distance traveled in 3 rounds (or in 3 seconds )

= 3* circumference= 37.699m.

At 0.5 seconds (1/6th of the total time), distance travelled

= 37.699/6= 6.2831m.

Velocity at 0.5s

= displacement/time = 6.2831m/0.5s= 12.56631 m/s.

( I knew I didn’t have to do all those steps but I did to help myself)

Acceleration at 0.5s

a= v^2/r = (12.56631)^2/2 = 78.96 m/s^2.

Am I okay? Or did I make a mistake, if so, where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems okay to me. You were a little bit roundabout to get there though.

If it takes 3 secs to travel around 3 times then that's once per second and the circumference is 12.56631 m hence 12.56631 m/s is the speed (tangential velocity) and from there you can compute the acceleration as a = v^2/r = (12.56631)^2/2 = 78.956 m/s^2

so we agree.

Likes starstruck_
jedishrfu said:
It seems okay to me. You were a little bit roundabout to get there though.

If it takes 3 secs to travel around 3 times then that's once per second and the circumference is 12.56631 m hence 12.56631 m/s is the speed and from there you can compute the acceleration as a = (12.56631)^2/2 = 78.956 m/s^2

Oh phew, thanks!

Oops I didnt see the constant tangential acceleration. What we solved was for constant tangential velocity.

I think that means it took 3 seconds to do three orbits so if you were to stretch the circle out to a straight line then and use the s = 1/2 a t^2 and find the a

jedishrfu said:
Oops I didnt see the constant tangential acceleration. What we solved was for constant tangential velocity.

I think that means it took 3 seconds to do three orbits so if you were to stretch the circle out to a straight line then and use the s = 1/2 a t^2 and find the a

So my s would just be the distance traveled in 3 orbits, and this also means that the magnitude of the plane’a velocity changes throughout the course of the 3 orbits?

The next question would be at 0.5 sec there is a tangential and a normal acceleration component to construct the acceleration vector. You’ll need the velocity at 0.5 sec to compute the normal acceleration via v^2 / r

So you could use Pythagorean theorem to get the acceleration magnitude.

How far do you need to go? To get the actual vector?

Your problem says you need only compute the acceleration magnitude.

Last edited:

What causes a toy plane to fly in a circle?

A toy plane flies in a circle due to the principles of aerodynamics. When the plane's wings create lift, it also creates a force called "centripetal force" that pulls the plane towards the center of the circle, causing it to fly in a circular path.

Can a toy plane fly in a perfect circle?

In theory, yes, a toy plane can fly in a perfect circle. However, factors such as wind, turbulence, and the plane's design can affect its ability to maintain a consistent circular path.

How can I control the radius of a toy plane's circular flight?

The radius of a toy plane's circular flight can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the wings or the speed of the plane. A steeper angle or faster speed will result in a smaller radius, while a shallower angle or slower speed will result in a larger radius.

Why does a toy plane sometimes veer off course while flying in a circle?

A toy plane may veer off course due to external factors such as wind or turbulence, or internal factors such as a malfunctioning motor or uneven weight distribution. It's important to check these factors and make adjustments as needed to maintain a steady circular flight.

Can a toy plane fly in a circle without any external forces?

No, a toy plane cannot fly in a circle without any external forces. In order to maintain a circular path, there must be a force acting on the plane, such as the centripetal force from the wings or the force from the propeller/motor.