Trace and Determinant Relationship: Proving the Relation with O(x^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the relation det(I + xA) = 1 + x tr A + O(x^2) by carefully picking out the constant- and linear-order terms of the determinant of (I+xA). The idea is to use the general determinant expansion in terms of the total antisymmetric tensor, but in a more formal way, one can diagonalize A or bring it to upper-triangular form by a similarity transformation.
alle.fabbri
Hi,
can anyone give me an hint to proof the relation

det(I + x A) = 1 + x tr A + O(x^2)

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the general form of (I+xA). The determinant must be some polynomial in x, right? So, carefully pick out the constant- and linear-order terms of this polynomial by choosing the appropriate factors in the determinant.

Ben Niehoff said:
Write out the general form of (I+xA). The determinant must be some polynomial in x, right? So, carefully pick out the constant- and linear-order terms of this polynomial by choosing the appropriate factors in the determinant.

ok that's the idea behind...but what about some explicit calculations? Are them possible? I thought i can use the general determinant expansion in terms of the total antisymmetric tensor which, for a nxn matrix A must be something like

[tex]
det A = \frac{1}{n!} \sum_{i_1, i_2, ... , i_n = 1}^{n} \epsilon_{i_1\;i_2\;...\;i_n} A_{1\;i_1} A_{2\;i_2} A_{3\;i_3} ... A_{n\;i_n}
[/tex]

the expression of the fact that the determinant is the average of all possible products of the elements picked one per column keeping them in different rows, thanks to totally antisymmetric tensor.

Any idea to be a bit formal?

There should be no 1/n! in there. The determinant is the anti-symmetrized sum of all the products; not the average.

If you want to do the proof formally, the simplest way would be to diagonalize A. Or in general, bring A to upper-triangular form by a similarity transformation. Note that the identity matrix is invariant under similarity transformations. The determinant and trace are also invariant.

What are "Trace and Determinant"?

"Trace and Determinant" are mathematical operations used to find important properties of a square matrix.

What is the difference between Trace and Determinant?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements, while the determinant is a single value that represents the scaling factor of the matrix.

What are the applications of Trace and Determinant?

Trace and determinant are used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve systems of equations, find eigenvalues, and determine the stability of a system.

How do you calculate Trace and Determinant?

The trace is calculated by summing the diagonal elements of a matrix, while the determinant is found by using a specific formula that involves the elements of the matrix.

What are some properties of Trace and Determinant?

Some properties include the trace being independent of the order of matrix multiplication and the determinant being equal to the product of all of the matrix's eigenvalues.