Is the Jacobian Matrix for an Equilibrium Point Unstable?

In summary, you have a Jacobian matrix with given parameters and need to show that either the trace is greater than 0 or the determinant is less than 0. To do this, you can rearrange the equation for det(A) to show that it will always be negative, or use a computer program to plot the phase portrait and see that there is a saddle point, which implies that det(A) must be zero.
Somefantastik
Hello,

I have a Jacobian matrix

[tex] A = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
-2x+1-a_{1}y & -a_{1}x \\
-a_{2}ry & r-2ry-ra_{2}x \end{array} \right)\ [/tex]

where

[tex] a_{1} > 1 \ ; \ a_{2} > 1 \ ; \ and \ r>0 [/tex]

the trace is

[tex]Tr(A) = 1-2x-a_{1}y+r(1-y-a_{2}x)-ry = x(-2-ra_{2}) +y(-a_{1}-2r)+1+r [/tex];

and the determinant is

[tex]det(A) = r(1-2y-a_{2}x-2x+4yx+2a_{2}x^{2}-a_{1}y+2y^{2}a_{1}) [/tex];

I need to show that Tr(A)>0 or det(A)<0. Neither one of them seem to be working out for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The point of this exercise is showing an equilibrium point is unstable.

Update: I can see from MATLAB that the determinant must be zero as the phase portrait shows a saddle point.

itsasaddle.jpg

Please help me show det(A) < 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To do this, you need to rearrange the equation for det(A) so that it is in a form such that all the terms are negative. This will require factoring and then multiplying the factors together. Once you have done this, it should be easy to see that det(A) will always be negative. Alternatively, you could use MATLAB or another computer program to plot the phase portrait of the system and determine that there is a saddle point, which implies that det(A) must be zero.

What is the Trace Determinant Plane and why is it important?

The Trace Determinant Plane is a mathematical concept that is used to analyze and understand systems of linear equations. It is important because it allows scientists to determine the behavior and stability of these systems.

How do you plot a Trace Determinant Plane?

To plot a Trace Determinant Plane, you will need to calculate the trace and determinant values for various points on the plane. Then, you can plot these values on a 2-dimensional graph with the trace on the x-axis and the determinant on the y-axis.

What information can be obtained from a Trace Determinant Plane?

A Trace Determinant Plane can provide information about the eigenvalues of a system of linear equations. It can also show the stability, oscillatory behavior, and critical points of the system.

How is the stability of a system determined using a Trace Determinant Plane?

The stability of a system can be determined by looking at the trace and determinant values on the plane. If the trace is negative and the determinant is positive, the system is stable. If the trace is positive and the determinant is negative, the system is unstable. If both values are positive or both are negative, the system is a saddle point.

What are some real-world applications of the Trace Determinant Plane?

The Trace Determinant Plane is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to analyze the stability of ecosystems, predict the behavior of electrical circuits, and understand the dynamics of chemical reactions, among other applications.