Trace of a subsystem of a two qubit system

In summary, the density operator for the system AB is ## \rho ^{AB} =\frac { \left |00 \right > \left <00 \right |+ \left |01 \right > \left < 01\right |+\left | 10\right > \left < 10\right |+\left | 11\right > \left < 11\right | } 4 ##. However, the reduced density operator of subsystem A is ## \rho ^A = \frac { \left |0 \right > \left <0 \right |+ \left |1 \right > \left < 1\right | } 2 ##, as it only accounts
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
From Nielsen's QC&QI, in page 109 (The schmidt decomposition), it reads that:
As an example, consider the state of two qubits, ##\left( \left | 00 \right> +\left | 01 \right> +\left | 11 \right> \right) / \sqrt 3##. This has no obvious symmetry property, yet if you calculate ##tr \left ( {\left( \rho ^A \right )}^2 \right )## and ##tr \left ( {\left( \rho ^B \right )}^2 \right )## you will discover that they have the same value, ##\frac 7 9## in each case.
Relevant Equations
The density operator for a system is ## \rho \equiv \sum_i p_i \left |\psi _i \right> \left < \psi _i \right |##.
Also, ## tr \left( A \left | \psi \right > \left < \psi \right | \right) =\left < \psi \left |A \right | \psi \right > ##
Consider the first qubit (subsystem A):

First, the density operator for the system AB is ## \rho ^{AB} =\frac { \left |00 \right > \left <00 \right |+ \left |01 \right > \left < 01\right |+\left | 11\right > \left < 11\right | } 3 ##.

Then, the reduced density operator of subsystem A is ## \rho ^A = \frac { \left |0 \right > \left <0 \right |+ \left |0 \right > \left < 0\right |+\left | 1\right > \left < 1\right | } 3 =\frac { 2\left |0 \right > \left <0 \right |+\left | 1\right > \left < 1\right | } 3 ##.

Thus, ## \left ( \rho ^A \right ) ^2=\frac { 4\left |0 \right > \left <0 \right |+\left | 1\right > \left < 1\right | } 9##.

So, ## tr \left ( {\left( \rho ^A \right )}^2 \right ) =\frac 5 9##.

I overchecked the procedure several times, but I can't see where am I wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to think again about the result you got for ##\rho^{AB}##

cpt_carrot said:
You might want to think again about the result you got for ##\rho^{AB}##

Hi, cpt_carrot. I still can't figure the mistake.

Here is my reasoning:

There are three possible states : ## \left | 00 \right> , \left | 01 \right> , \left | 11 \right> ## all with probabilitities of ##\frac 1 3##.

So ##\rho \equiv \sum_i p_i \left | \psi _i \right > \left < \psi _i \right |=\frac { \left |00 \right > \left <00 \right |+ \left |01 \right > \left < 01\right |+\left | 11\right > \left < 11\right | } 3 ##.

Maybe I understand the definition of density operator in a wrong way.

Could you help me point the mistake? Thanks!

You need to include the cross terms in the outer product. The density matrix for your pure state ##|\psi\rangle## is ##\rho= |\psi\rangle\langle\psi|## which includes terms like ##|00\rangle\langle 01|##

Likes Haorong Wu
cpt_carrot said:
You need to include the cross terms in the outer product. The density matrix for your pure state ##|\psi\rangle## is ##\rho= |\psi\rangle\langle\psi|## which includes terms like ##|00\rangle\langle 01|##
Oh, so ##
\rho \equiv \sum_i p_i \left | \psi _i \right > \left < \psi _i \right |## should be applied to a collect of pure states.
I am going to redo the calculation again.
Thanks, cpt_carrot!

1. What is a trace of a subsystem of a two qubit system?

The trace of a subsystem of a two qubit system is a mathematical operation that calculates the sum of the diagonal elements of the density matrix of the subsystem. It represents the probability of finding the subsystem in a certain state when measuring the entire system.

2. How is the trace of a subsystem of a two qubit system calculated?

The trace of a subsystem is calculated by taking the sum of the diagonal elements of the density matrix of the subsystem. This can be done by multiplying the density matrix by the identity matrix and then taking the sum of the resulting matrix.

3. What does the trace of a subsystem tell us about the two qubit system?

The trace of a subsystem provides information about the entanglement and correlation between the two qubits in the system. It can also give insight into the overall state and behavior of the system.

4. Can the trace of a subsystem be used to measure the purity of a two qubit system?

Yes, the trace of a subsystem can be used to calculate the purity of a two qubit system. The purity is equal to the trace squared, and a higher purity indicates a more pure and less entangled system.

5. How is the trace of a subsystem related to quantum entanglement?

The trace of a subsystem is closely related to quantum entanglement. If the trace is equal to 1, it indicates that the two qubits are completely entangled and their states cannot be described independently. A trace of 0 indicates that the qubits are not entangled and can be described separately.