Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trace of density of states

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    regarding the density of states:
    how I GET THE FOLLOWING EQUALITY?
    [tex]

\langle E_n\mid \delta(E-\widehat{H}) \mid E_n \rangle = \sum_n \delta(E-E_n)
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2
    If

[tex]
    H|E_n\rangle = E_n|E_n\rangle
    [/tex]

and if [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is some function, then the operator [itex]f(H)[/itex] is defined by using the eigenbasis of [itex]H[/itex], like this:

[tex]
    f(H)|E_n\rangle = f(E_n)|E_n\rangle
    [/tex]

Then, if you think that the delta function is like any function, you can do this:

[tex]
    \delta(E - H)|E_n\rangle = \delta(E-E_n)|E_n\rangle
    [/tex]

In order to understand better what's going on, you should take a closer look at how you got the [itex]H[/itex] inside the delta function in the first place.

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3
    yes but then you get:

[tex]

\sum_n \langle E_n\mid \delta(E-E_n) \mid E_n \rangle.

[/tex]

So how do you eliminate the bra and kets? [tex]
    \langle E_n| , |E_n\rangle [/tex]

5. Jul 19, 2010 #4
    If you think that the delta function is like any function, then [itex]\delta(E - E_n)[/itex] is a number, and it can be taken out from between the brackets, by bilinearity of the inner product.

[tex]
    \langle E_n|\delta(E - E_n)| E_n\rangle = \delta(E - E_n)\langle E_n| E_n\rangle
    [/tex]

6. Jul 19, 2010 #5
    But you didn't answer my question:

let me explain you my problem:

The density of states n(E) is defined as the trace of the spectral operator
    [tex] \delta(E-\hat{H}), \newline n(E)\equiv Tr \delta(E-\hat{H}). [/tex]

this expression is equal [tex] = \sum_n \langle E_n|\delta(E- \hat{H})| E_n\rangle.[/tex]

My question is how do I get the final expression:[tex] \sum_n \delta(E-E_n)? [/tex]
    According to what you said above I get: [tex] \sum_n \delta(E - E_n) \langle E_n| E_n\rangle [/tex]
    BUT HOW DO I ELIMINATE THE BRA AND KETS?
    Because finally I need to get [tex] \sum_n \delta(E-E_n) [/tex].

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. Jul 19, 2010 #6
    I just decided that I'm in a nasty mood, and I refuse to answer your final question, even though I know the answer. BUHAHAHahahahahh.....!!!! :devil: :rofl:

8. Jul 19, 2010 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

What is [tex]\langle \psi | \psi \rangle [/tex] for any conventionally normalized state [tex]| \psi \rangle [/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook