Proving Uniqueness of Trace Function on n X n Matrices

In summary, the trace functional on nxn matrices is unique in the sense that any linear functional satisfying f(AB) = f(BA) for all matrices A and B in W is a scalar multiple of the trace function. Furthermore, if this linear functional also satisfies f(I) = n, then it is equivalent to the trace function. This can be proven by working with a basis of nxn matrices and using specific examples to show that the coefficients of the linear functional must be zero in certain cases.
guroten

Homework Statement

Show that the trace functional on n X n matrices is unique in the following
sense. If W is the space of n X n matrices over the field F and if f is a linear functional
on W such that f(AB) = f(BA) for each A and B in W, then f is a scalar
multiple of the trace function. If, in addition, f(I) = n, then f is the trace function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start with this proof. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any linear functional over nxn matrices has the form W(A)=C_{ij}*A_{ij} summed over i and j, right? Now work over a basis of the nxn matrices. Define D_{ij} to be the matrix with a 1 in the position {ij} and zero everywhere else. Now I'll just give you couple of examples. Let's just use 2x2 matrices. Let A=D_{12} and B=D_{11}. Then D_{12}*D_{11}=0 so W(D_{12}*D_{11})=0. D_{11}*D_{12}=D_{12}. So W(D_{11}*D_{12})=W(D_{12})=C_{12}. Hence C_{12}=0. Now look at D_{12} and D_{21}. Can you show C_{11}=C_{22}? Do you see how this is working?

Last edited:

1. What is the trace function on n X n matrices?

The trace function on n X n matrices is a mathematical operation that calculates the sum of the diagonal elements of a square matrix. It is denoted by tr(A) or simply by the symbol tr.

2. Why is it important to prove the uniqueness of the trace function on n X n matrices?

Proving the uniqueness of the trace function is important because it ensures that the trace function is well-defined and has a consistent value for all n X n matrices. It also allows us to use the trace function in various mathematical operations and proofs with confidence.

3. How is the uniqueness of the trace function on n X n matrices proven?

To prove the uniqueness of the trace function, we must show that for any two n X n matrices A and B, if tr(A) = tr(B), then A = B. This can be done using properties of matrix operations and linear algebra techniques.

4. What are some applications of the uniqueness of the trace function on n X n matrices?

The uniqueness of the trace function has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the calculation of eigenvalues and determinants of matrices, as well as in the proof of many important theorems in linear algebra.

5. Are there any exceptions to the uniqueness of the trace function on n X n matrices?

Yes, there are exceptions to the uniqueness of the trace function. For example, if two matrices have the same diagonal elements but different off-diagonal elements, their trace values will be equal, but the matrices will not be the same. However, in most cases, the uniqueness of the trace function holds true and is an important property of n X n matrices.