Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trace the plane (over Europe)

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Well, not every plane, just those equipped with ADS-B. Still, fun to check what it is flying over your house.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    What a great resource for terrorists.

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The data is delayed 15mins. But anyway what kind of terrorist plan were you worried about?

Option 1:
    Build robot drone capable of reaching cruise height and speed of 747, and locking onto target - guided to correct flight number by google.

Option 2:
    Stand at end of runway with shoulder launched missile. Shoot at big metal bird with US flag as part of logo.

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    If you've hijacked a plane, you could check if authorities have been tipped by seeing if other planes have been diverted. Or check the status of your wingman... If this is actually based on real radar data.

7. Mar 8, 2010 #6

Borg

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 8, 2010 #7

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

What makes you think it's delayed?

As far as I can see, it's live, to within a few seconds, although a bit intermittent (not every plane shows all the time - probably depends on where receivers are situated). I just popped my head out of the door to confirm that an airliner was flying over here (near Southampton) in the direction matching the line on the map, although that could have been coincidence.

9. Mar 8, 2010 #8
    Somehow that terrorist thinghy is not exactly relevant when it is about weapon employment. The maximum effective altitude of light weapons, like the shoulder fired missiles is about half of the minimum cruising altitude of air liners and a terrorist would not really need air traffic control facilities like this to identify a certain aircraft in the terminal area around an airport. A simple VHF radio receiver would do the trick.

10. Mar 8, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There used to be a little about box saying data was delayed 15mins (might have been another site).
    The data is sent in the clear anyway - it's used by TCAS so it would be a bit pointless if a US and Russian aircraft were on a collision course but each's positions were encrypted from the other.

There was a complaint about the maritime one from the underwater salvage people that it gives away the position of wrecks they are investigating.

11. Mar 9, 2010 #10
    Wow. Fascinating. Love the one for Europe.

12. Apr 16, 2010 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thought I'd bump this, so PFers could see the planes not flying over northern Europe.

13. Apr 17, 2010 #12

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have thought about it too, I just forgot yesterday.

14. Apr 17, 2010 #13
    Wow, that's amazing! That volcanic ash sure is causing problems.
    Noticed a KLM flight(and the ONLY flight), wonder how that got approved.

15. Apr 17, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surprising indeed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867" [Broken] the effects of volcano ash.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Apr 17, 2010 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Small planes should be ok, they are well below the ash. Possibly some commuter plane that carries a beacon for some reason (this data is from TCAS transponders that only planes above a certain size need)

17. Apr 17, 2010 #16
    Are turboprop ok?

18. Apr 17, 2010 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they fly into ash no, if they are at 5000ft and the ash is at 20,000ft - yes!

19. Apr 20, 2010 #18
    For the record, that was an authorized test flight.

You can see the traffic increasing slowly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook