Tension and Angle Analysis for Traction in a Broken Leg

In summary, the conversation involves finding the tension in a rope and the proper angle for the upper rope in a traction setup for an accident victim with a broken leg. By using Newton's laws and the equation w=mg, the tension in the rope is calculated to be 58.8 N. To find the proper angle for the upper rope, the equation 58.8 sin(θ) = 39.2 + 58.8 sin(15°) is used, resulting in an angle of 67.74°. The net traction force pulling on the leg is then calculated to be 79 N. The person seeking help had some difficulty understanding the steps, but with clarification, they were able to solve the problem correctly
defaultusername

Homework Statement

An accident victim with a broken leg is being placed in traction. The patient wears a special boot with a pulley attached to the sole. The foot and boot together have a mass of m = 4.0 kg, and the doctor has decided to hang a 6.0 kg mass from the rope. The boot is held suspended by the ropes, as shown in the image, and does not touch the bed.

problem.png

a) Determine the amount of tension in the rope by using Newton's laws to analyze the hanging mass.
b) The net traction force needs to pull straight out on the leg. What is the proper angle θ for the upper rope?
c) What is the net traction force pulling on the leg?

--------------
I have seen other people post this problem with different circumstances/variables, however, when I plug in my variables and try to make it work for my given problem I am finding myself stuck.

Homework Equations

w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

a)[/B] Find the tension on the rope:
w = mg
= (6.0 kg)(9.8 [gravity])
w = 58.8 N (rounded to 59N) tension on the rope

b) Find the proper angle for the upper rope:
First I try to find the amount of force on the boot. using the same equation
w = mg
= (4.0kg)(9.8)
= 39.2 N of force acting on the boot
Then I take the sine to find the correct angle, right? So,
58.8 sin(θ) = 39.2 + 58.8 sin(15°)
θ = 54.42°
But I know that is incorrect. My book says that it's actually 67.8°. How? What am I doing wrong?

c) I can't even get to this point without answering (b).

Physics news on Phys.org
w = mg
= (4.0kg)(9.8)
θ = 54.42°
----additional calculations----
58.8sin(θ) = 54.42°
sin(θ) = 54.42 / 58.8
sin(θ) = 0.9255
sin-1(0.9255) = 67.74°

That is close to 67.8°...but I am not sure if I did it correctly or not.

From there:
c) Tcos(15°)+Tcos(67.7°) = 1.345382
= (1.345382)(58.8°)
= 79.12N (rounded to 79N) net traction force pulling on the leg

I am shooting in the dark here and am not sure if I am even doing it correctly. Thanks in advance

defaultusername said:
θ = 54.42°
I think you mean 58.8 sin(θ)=54.42.
You answer in part c looks ok, but you are a bit careless in writing out your steps. The net force is 1.345382T, not just 1.345382, and the 58.8 is Newtons, not degrees.

defaultusername said:
w = mg
= (4.0kg)(9.8)
θ = 54.42°
----additional calculations----
58.8sin(θ) = 54.42°
sin(θ) = 54.42 / 58.8
sin(θ) = 0.9255
sin-1(0.9255) = 67.74°

That is close to 67.8°...but I am not sure if I did it correctly or not.

From there:
c) Tcos(15°)+Tcos(67.7°) = 1.345382
= (1.345382)(58.8°)
= 79.12N (rounded to 79N) net traction force pulling on the leg

I am shooting in the dark here and am not sure if I am even doing it correctly. Thanks in advance

You did indeed do it right, and you helped me much. Although it was difficult to decypher exactly what you were doing. Your algebra wasnt clear. Thank you alot. You helped me much.

What is traction?

Traction is a medical procedure used to align and immobilize a broken leg by applying a pulling force to the limb.

How does traction help with a broken leg?

Traction helps with a broken leg by reducing pain, realigning the broken bone, and preventing further damage or displacement of the broken bone.

What are the different types of traction?

There are two main types of traction: skin traction and skeletal traction. Skin traction involves applying the pulling force to the skin, while skeletal traction involves inserting pins or screws into the bone and attaching weights to them to provide the pulling force.

What are the risks of traction?

The risks of traction include skin irritation or breakdown, nerve damage, and blood clots. It is important to closely monitor the patient for any signs of these complications.

How long does traction need to be applied?

The duration of traction depends on the severity and type of fracture. It can range from a few days to several weeks. The healthcare provider will determine the appropriate length of time based on the individual case.