Traction application -- Which type of motor is best?

In summary, induction motors are better suited for traction applications as they have good starting torque and less maintenance.
smruti
in traction applications which motor is best suitable? previoulsy dc series motors were used in traction applications due to there excellent starting torque.but now a days it is being replaced by induction motors.why can't we employ synchronous machine in traction application?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a traction application?

It sounds like the drive wheel on an electric vehicle/robot.

I can easily foresee problems when the torque is so high the wheels lose traction on starting. In the case of an automobile, the weight of the electric motor would be unsprung weight, so choosing a motor that matches the needed performance with minimal weight is a high priority. Then there are safety issues. What happens when the electronics blow at 70mph? Then there are power feed issues.

This is a very tricky bit of engineering with lots of variables. Hopefully those involved have considered the options. Still, perhaps you can build a better mousetrap.

Traction typically refers to rail - the induction motors cost less. Since they would both require a VF drive - the Eff of the induction motor is good enough, and the drive does allow pretty high torque at low speed.

It has to do with control. In older traction applications involving DC motors (electric trains, electric vehicles (see komatsu fleet of 930E electric drive train), contactors are used for control. Due to the advent and easy implentation of power electronics (I am thinking IGBT) which allow you to convert a DC signal into a variable AC signal (better control of the frequency) You get better speed control.

Also induction motors have far less maintenance. I used to work as an industrial electrician maintaining a fleet of komatsu haul trucks (we had both AC and DC drive systems).

A frequent cause for maintenance was motor flashing (DC) and brush wear. Never once did I ever see a AC traction motor fail.

FOIWATER said:
It has to do with control. In older traction applications involving DC motors (electric trains, electric vehicles (see komatsu fleet of 930E electric drive train), contactors are used for control. Due to the advent and easy implentation of power electronics (I am thinking IGBT) which allow you to convert a DC signal into a variable AC signal (better control of the frequency) You get better speed control.

Also induction motors have far less maintenance. I used to work as an industrial electrician maintaining a fleet of komatsu haul trucks (we had both AC and DC drive systems).

A frequent cause for maintenance was motor flashing (DC) and brush wear. Never once did I ever see a AC traction motor fail.
thank you...

1) What is traction application?

Traction application is the use of a motor to provide motion or power to a vehicle or machinery. It is commonly used in transportation vehicles such as cars, trains, and planes, as well as in industrial and agricultural machinery.

2) Why is it important to choose the right type of motor for traction application?

The type of motor used in traction application can greatly affect the performance, efficiency, and durability of the vehicle or machinery. Choosing the right type of motor is crucial in ensuring optimal operation and minimizing maintenance costs.

3) What are the different types of motors commonly used in traction application?

The most common types of motors used in traction application are DC motors, AC motors, and induction motors. DC motors are often used in electric cars and forklifts, while AC motors are commonly used in trains and industrial machinery. Induction motors are often used in escalators and elevators.

4) Which type of motor is best for traction application?

The best type of motor for traction application depends on the specific needs and requirements of the vehicle or machinery. DC motors are known for their high torque and efficiency, making them suitable for applications that require frequent starting and stopping. AC motors are known for their speed and reliability, making them suitable for high-speed applications. Induction motors are known for their cost-effectiveness and simplicity, making them suitable for simpler applications.

5) What are some factors to consider when choosing a motor for traction application?

Some factors to consider when choosing a motor for traction application include power requirements, torque, speed, efficiency, size and weight limitations, and cost. It is important to carefully evaluate these factors and choose a motor that best fits the specific needs of the application.