Enhance the Comfort of Your Farm Tractor with Seat Suspension | Learn More!

• Thread starter serbring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suspension
In summary: There is just an active seat, but it works only in the vertical direction, but I think also the other direction influence strongly the vibration an the seat
serbring
I'm thinking about farm tractor seat suspension in which there isn't axle suspensions and the unsuspended mass is much higher than the suspendend mass. Can the seat oscillation is lower than tractor one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
With apologies, I can't quite understand what you're asking.
If you want to know how to use the lightest possible suspended components, I'd recommend a canvas or plastic sling seat hung on bungee cords.
I somehow suspect that I'm misinterpreting you, though.

edit: Oh, crap! I just realized what you mean. There should some theoretical method of achieving what you want, but I don't know if it's physically possible. The mechanical equivalent of a sound-cancellation system is indicated, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure that it could be done if you have access to the sort of equipment used in modern fighter aircraft flight control systems, but that's a bit out of reach for the average farmer.

Last edited:
Danger said:
With apologies, I can't quite understand what you're asking.
If you want to know how to use the lightest possible suspended components, I'd recommend a canvas or plastic sling seat hung on bungee cords.
I somehow suspect that I'm misinterpreting you, though.

edit: Oh, crap! I just realized what you mean. There should some theoretical method of achieving what you want, but I don't know if it's physically possible. The mechanical equivalent of a sound-cancellation system is indicated, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure that it could be done if you have access to the sort of equipment used in modern fighter aircraft flight control systems, but that's a bit out of reach for the average farmer.

I have thought since a tractor seat has a scissor linkage, like the third in the second row, but in the past the other mechanisms was used:

http://img840.imageshack.us/f/seatc.jpg/

With the scissor system, the seat is moved only in the vertical direction while a tractor can move in all directions, do you think the system can works because is decoupled? If the tractor has a true heave motion, does the seat has a lower oscillation than the tractor frame?

I don't see any functional difference between #3 and #4 in that picture, but I would personally prefer either to the alternatives.
The last time that I drove a tractor, the seat was welded to the end of a leaf spring.

Danger said:
I don't see any functional difference between #3 and #4 in that picture, but I would personally prefer either to the alternatives.
The last time that I drove a tractor, the seat was welded to the end of a leaf spring.

It changes only a little bit. I think the tractor you have used is very old almost 40 years old.
However I don't know if I have explained properly my question, let me know if further explanation are necessary.

serbring said:
I think the tractor you have used is very old almost 40 years old.
More like 65 or 70. I started driving it in 1960 and it was already old even then.
I don't think that there's anything wrong with your explanation; I just don't know the answer. What I meant by the "sound-cancellation" remark is that you might require some sort of "active" movement negation system as opposed to a "passive" one.

Danger said:
More like 65 or 70. I started driving it in 1960 and it was already old even then.
I don't think that there's anything wrong with your explanation; I just don't know the answer. What I meant by the "sound-cancellation" remark is that you might require some sort of "active" movement negation system as opposed to a "passive" one.

there is just an active seat, but it works only in the vertical direction, but I think also the other direction influence strongly the vibration an the seat

I agree with your point. The vertical movement of the seat is not nearly as stressful and irritating as the side-to-side to-and-fro jouncing while bounding over frozen ruts in the mud.

1. What is tractor seat suspension?

Tractor seat suspension refers to the system that is used to absorb and reduce the impact of vibrations and bumps while operating a tractor. It allows for a smoother and more comfortable ride for the driver.

2. How does tractor seat suspension work?

Tractor seat suspension works by using a combination of springs, shock absorbers, and dampeners to absorb and dissipate the energy from bumps and vibrations. This helps to reduce the impact on the driver's body and provides a more comfortable experience.

3. Why is tractor seat suspension important?

Tractor seat suspension is important because it helps to reduce fatigue and discomfort for the driver, especially during long periods of operation. It also helps to protect the driver's body from the impact of bumps and vibrations, which can lead to injuries over time.

4. What are the benefits of using tractor seat suspension?

The benefits of using tractor seat suspension include a smoother and more comfortable ride for the driver, reduced fatigue and discomfort, and improved safety. It also helps to protect the tractor's components from damage caused by excessive vibrations.

5. Are there different types of tractor seat suspension?

Yes, there are different types of tractor seat suspension, including mechanical spring suspension, hydraulic suspension, and air suspension. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, and the choice will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.