1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traffic signal physics problem

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1
    this is a problem I have . But because I cannot include the graph, I try to do via Microsoft Word. I put it as an attachment. I hope that you will understand it.

This is the problem:

Traffic signals are placed along a straight road at positions x = 0 m, x = 600 m, and x = 1200 m (see graph in attachment)). The time intervals during which the signals are green are shown by the thick lines ( in red) in the figure.

(a) Draw the displacement-versus-time curves (fastest and slowest) for a car that passes through all the lights when the car moves with constant speed.

(b) Draw a similar set of lines for a car traveling in the opposite direction.

(c) Assuming that the lights are timed such that a car passes through all lights in the middle of the time interval, what is the speed for which the lights are timed?

(d) What is the fastest constant speed of a car that makes it through all the signals, assuming it arrives at the first light at the optimal moment?

For info.:
    The grah is a 2 dimension space with time(s) on horizontal and the position x(m) in vertical.
    The interval are put in red and I mentioned the time interval at the end of each line.
    Please help me with that . I do not understand it

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well if you map x=x(t), then v = dx/dt and the slope is speed (or magnitude of velocity).

If you draw a straight line, it's slope will be a constant speed.

So the fastest speed, will have the steepest slope.
  4. Sep 3, 2005 #3

Thank you that make more sense now , but what about quesion c

I do not understand this question .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?