Designing a Trailer: Determining Steel Square Tube Size

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a trailer that can hold a load of 350lbs on two centered posts with a safety factor of 3. The speaker is seeking advice on determining the size of steel square tube needed, as well as formulas for shear stress and the reason for the load being supported by only two points. The conversation also includes questions about the trailer's geometry and purpose.
sgmech1
I am working on designing a trailer that will hold a load of 350lbs on 2 centered posts. It needs to have a safety factor of 3, so 1050lbs plus trailer weight. I am trying to determine the size of Steel square tube I must use. Any advice on formulas or methods of determining this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
How would I determine the shear stress on sqaure tubing if I am using ASTM A500 Grade B steel

Without some better specifics for your geometry (like a picture) it's hard to give you any useful feedback. Remember: a picture is worth 1000 words.

What formulas are there for shear if I have a yield point of the material?

appreciate the help

Attachments

• DOC002.PDF
    33.5 KB · Views: 295
Why is load of the trailer supported by just those two points, instead of distributed across the trailer's frame?

I'd imagine that it's for something like a jet ski. Most of the weight will be directed on the two keel supports. There will be side supports to keep it straight probably, but they won't bear much load.

Is this for a personal or academic project? If it's personal, then just over design it. If it's for school or something, well, just look up "bending and shear in beams", "shear at welded connections"

sgmech1: (1) What is the distance between the centerlines of the tires? (2) What is the distance from the back tube centerline to the trailer hitch ball? (3) What is the distance from the back tube centerline to the front load point shown on your diagram? (4) What is the distance from the back tube centerline forward to the apex of the diagonal tubes?

Last edited:

1. What factors should be considered when determining the size of steel square tubes for a trailer?

There are several factors that should be considered when determining the size of steel square tubes for a trailer. These include the weight of the load the trailer will be carrying, the length and width of the trailer bed, the type of terrain the trailer will be used on, and the weight of the trailer itself. Additionally, the type of steel and the thickness of the tubes should also be taken into account.

2. How do I calculate the appropriate size of steel square tubes for my trailer?

The appropriate size of steel square tubes for a trailer can be calculated by taking into consideration the weight and dimensions of the load, as well as the length and width of the trailer bed. The tube size should be able to support the weight of the load evenly across the bed without bending or buckling. It is recommended to consult a structural engineer or use online calculators for accurate calculations.

3. What are the advantages of using steel square tubes for a trailer?

Steel square tubes are a popular choice for trailers due to their strength and durability. They have a high strength-to-weight ratio, making them able to support heavy loads without adding excess weight to the trailer. They are also resistant to corrosion and can withstand harsh weather and rough terrain, making them a reliable choice for long-term use.

4. Are there any limitations to using steel square tubes for a trailer?

While steel square tubes have many benefits, they do have some limitations. They can be more expensive than other materials such as aluminum or wood, and they are also heavier, which can impact the overall weight and towing capacity of the trailer. Additionally, steel can rust if not properly maintained, so regular inspections and maintenance are necessary.

5. Can I use different sizes of steel square tubes for different parts of the trailer?

Yes, you can use different sizes of steel square tubes for different parts of the trailer, depending on the load and function of each section. For example, you may use larger and thicker tubes for the main frame and smaller tubes for the sides and support structures. It is important to ensure that all the tubes are properly connected and reinforce each other to ensure stability and safety of the trailer.