Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Train blows away a p?

1. Jul 7, 2006 #1
    Is it true that a somewhat fast (say 150 km/h) train with a flat-headed locomotive pushes so much air in front of it that a person on the track would not (at first) be hit but blown away?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like a problem crying out for experimental evidence!

4. Jul 8, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using a dummy of course. The difficulty might be in finding a flat headed train that can go 150 km/hr (about 90 mph)

AM

5. Jul 8, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What I DO know, is that the goy who did the Great Train Robbery (in the 1880's, I think), had seriously underestimated the air resistance when crawling on top of the train. He was almost, but not quite, blown off the train, and his clothes and face were drenched in soot.
    All this from Michael Crichton's account of one of the most daring robberies done in history. :smile:

6. Jul 10, 2006 #5
    No. It isn't. Buses are also flat-headed. Now think of the movie Final Destination

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  7. Jul 10, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, he would have to be a dummy to volunteer!

8. Jul 12, 2006 #7
    Any experts in fluid mechanics here? i guess it would have to depend on the shape of the boundary layer.

9. Jul 12, 2006 #8
    I have never seen this side of you Halls, :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?