Train Blows Away Person: Is It True?

• Thread starter willkoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, this conversation is about whether it is true that a train with a flat-headed locomotive pushes so much air in front of it that a person on the track would not (at first) be hit but blown away. The experts in the conversation say that it is not true, and the person writing the summary says that it is not true.
willkoh
Is it true that a somewhat fast (say 150 km/h) train with a flat-headed locomotive pushes so much air in front of it that a person on the track would not (at first) be hit but blown away?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like a problem crying out for experimental evidence!

HallsofIvy said:
Looks to me like a problem crying out for experimental evidence!
Using a dummy of course. The difficulty might be in finding a flat headed train that can go 150 km/hr (about 90 mph)

AM

willkoh said:
Is it true that a somewhat fast (say 150 km/h) train with a flat-headed locomotive pushes so much air in front of it that a person on the track would not (at first) be hit but blown away?
What I DO know, is that the goy who did the Great Train Robbery (in the 1880's, I think), had seriously underestimated the air resistance when crawling on top of the train. He was almost, but not quite, blown off the train, and his clothes and face were drenched in soot.
All this from Michael Crichton's account of one of the most daring robberies done in history. :smile:

willkoh said:
No. It isn't. Buses are also flat-headed. Now think of the movie Final Destination

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Using a dummy of course. The difficulty might be in finding a flat headed train that can go 150 km/hr (about 90 mph)

AM
Well, he would have to be a dummy to volunteer!

Any experts in fluid mechanics here? i guess it would have to depend on the shape of the boundary layer.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, he would have to be a dummy to volunteer!

I have never seen this side of you Halls, :rofl:

1. Is it possible for a train to blow away a person?

Yes, it is possible for a train to blow away a person, especially if the person is standing too close to the train tracks. The force of the train's movement can create a strong gust of wind that can knock a person off their feet.

2. How strong is the wind created by a train?

The strength of the wind created by a train depends on several factors such as the speed of the train, the size and weight of the train, and the distance between the train and the person. However, it can reach speeds of up to 150 mph, which can be strong enough to knock a person over.

3. Are there any safety precautions that can be taken to prevent a train from blowing a person away?

Yes, there are safety precautions that can be taken to prevent a train from blowing a person away. Train stations and platforms are usually designed to have barriers or fences to keep people at a safe distance from the tracks. It is also important for individuals to stand at least 15 feet away from the tracks when a train is approaching.

4. Has there been any documented cases of a train blowing away a person?

Yes, there have been documented cases of people being blown away by trains. In fact, there have been several instances where individuals have been injured or killed by the wind created by a passing train. This is why it is important to follow safety precautions and stay a safe distance away from trains.

5. What other dangers should people be aware of when near train tracks?

Aside from the wind created by trains, there are other dangers that people should be aware of when near train tracks. These include electrocution from overhead wires, getting struck by a train or its parts, and falling onto the tracks. It is important to always be cautious and aware of your surroundings when near train tracks.