Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Train trips

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    Hey PF !

I'm planning on doing a "train trip" this summer. I was wondering if you guys had some experience in this kind of thing. I live in Europe but I still don't know if I'm going to travel to some other continent, so feel free to talk, I don't have a very specific plan.

Actually I'd like to make this trip quite long (more than 4 weeks), and I want to visit many cities. I also expect to spend quite some time in the trains. I love to look at the scenery, but I expect that at some point I'll probably want to do something else, like working on some physics subject. Have some of you ever tried that ?

I haven't ruled out the possibility to travel with some friends (as I've already done in the past) but I think that I will mostly travel alone. I want to spend some time thinking, and I hope travelling will help me keep focused. Being at home (mostly alone or with the parents) easily becomes boring and I don't want that anymore.

Also, have some of you ever tried CouchSurf ? There seem to be a quite active community of CouchSurfers out there.

Thanks ! ;-)

(Sorry for the mistakes, I'm from Belgium. Don't hesitate to correct me if you have some time.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only long train trips I've been on were across big stretches of America, so all I can tell you about is Amtrak. But there are common issues with US trains and trains anywhere.

If you plan to travel with other people, it's very nice having a bit of elbow room. No matter what the relationship between you and your cabinmate (even if it's your parents), sharing a closet-size room may start to bother you in a very short time.

Also, if you're on long trips it's nice to get a room with a private bath...not sure if they're available where you're planning to go, though. The one time I had a private bath it was sooooo worth it....it even had a shower!

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    You have big funs! but Becareful of the ripper and robber, many cases I heard in TV

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I Interrailed for about 6 weeks a few years ago. Saw enough of Barcelona, Montpellier, Chamonix, Turin, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ljubljana, Budapest, Prague and Amsterdam to make me want to see most of those places again. It was awesome. I went with a group of friends but we met so many lone travellers along the way that I'd love to do it again, alone.

http://www.interrail.com

Must haves:
    - Good, strong backpack
    - Lockable backpack cage
    - Credit cards
    - Money belt
    - Very light shirts/shorts which will dry out overnight
    - The ubiquitous Interrail guide, with timetables for every European train journey possible

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5
    You just have so neat idea, if i go with you, i will be safe.

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6
    Thanks for the answers ! Finally I think I'll stick with Europe. There are still so many cities I haven't visited yet. The Interrail pass is a nice thing, altough you have to pay supplements in high speed trains...

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only for very high speed links like the TGV. I seem to remember our TGV supplement was only a few Euros anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook