Train for Marathon: Tips for a 12-Mile Run

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I have completed a 24 km run in under 3 hours.I usually take a 10-15 minute break every 3 hours for a drink, a snack, and to stretch.I have completed a marathon.In summary, the participant has completed a marathon. They have completed a 24 km run in under 3 hours. They usually take a 10-15 minute break every 3 hours for a drink, a snack, and to stretch.
Hey, it looks like I'm signed up to do a half marathon on the day Greg does his full one!

I've been running about 14 km on a weekly basis lately. I did 18 km last weekend. I'm not sure if I should taper this coming weekend or just try to put in another 18 km or so. I might play it by ear.

Greg, one thing that helped me with tight IT bands was moving to minimalist shoes. That's probably not something to try this close to your marathon, but it might be worth looking into long term.

And a little bit of massage therapy never hurts either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Can permanent damage be done?

Pain can become chronic, and possibly require medical treatment.

I'd wind back the mileage before the marathon to give your body some well deserved rest. Switch out to the pool for cardio if you can.

I'd also hit the gym to do some hip strengthening exercises, I seem to remember hearing it's an effective way to help prevent ITBS.

Student100 said:
Pain can become chronic, and possibly require medical treatment.

I'd wind back the mileage before the marathon to give your body some well deserved rest. Switch out to the pool for cardio if you can.

I'd also hit the gym to do some hip strengthening exercises, I seem to remember hearing it's an effective way to help prevent ITBS.

I think this is spot on. I'm a bit out of my area of expertise (I do mountains but no running). If my joints were sore or I had an injury, but I wanted to stay fit, I'd get on the bike or running machine at the gym (not the treadmill). You can get or remain cardiovascularly very fit, without any road pounding. I'd definitely quit the road and take to the gym for a few days. Find something that is cardiovascularly demanding but doesn't put pressure on the injured or painful areas.That said, with the race itself only 10 days away, you probably only have a few days training left.

At this stage, if anything hurts, I'd say rest is better than more training.

Tomorrow is the big day! I got some compression bands for my knees to help with the ITB pain. I went on a couple 10 milers this past week and they felt better. I shooting for 10min miles because I really think around 18-20 miles I'll need to walk run the rest.

Finished with a junky time of 5:01 but I'll take it considering my knees were on fire past 18.

Likes mister mishka, S.G. Janssens, PeroK and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Finished with a junky time of 5:01 but I'll take it considering my knees were on fire past 18.

You finished, that's all that matters!

:bow::partytime:

Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Congratulations Greg! Awesome job!

Greg Bernhardt said:
with a junky time of 5:01
:smile:

Likes Student100
It is good you finished, but did you get any injuries? Might be hard to tell now, given you will be in pain regardless for 2 days or so after a run like this..