Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trains from France to the UK

  1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Hey people,

    A little question. I know France has trains running from Paris to London England. I was wondering if anyone knew if that train uses some type of underground tunnel or if it uses a bridge and what the name of it is?

    I've tried looking for it but its a difficult subject to search, Anyway, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    Yes it's call the Chunnel
  4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    Trains from USA to the UK

    http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/transatlantictunnel/interactive/interactive.html [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Ahhh! Thanks!
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5
    seriously? a bridge from UK to Europe?! Now that would be cool. :smile:
  7. Nov 24, 2008 #6
    Not bridge.
  8. Nov 24, 2008 #7


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

  9. Nov 24, 2008 #8


    User Avatar

    I love it when americans say "London England".

    Isn't that some kind of beer bong? I never heard it called the chunnel.
  10. Nov 24, 2008 #9


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    There's also the Evil Kinevil ramp


    Located on a 35 degree slope facing the English Channel, situated three quarters of a mile above sea level, trains achieve speeds of 220 miles per hour before launching off the ramp and remaining airborne for upwards of five minutes before landing safely on the French side of the channel

    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Kinevil_Ramp [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook