Smart People: 13 Science-Backed Traits

• News
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the traits of people who are considered to be "smarter" than others. It lists 6 traits that the author does not have and 3 that they are "neutral" on. The author also lists 8 traits that they have. After reading the article, the author found that 4 of the traits were not clear to them and they could not justify them in either direction. After asking their wife for their first thoughts on the article, the author was able to determine that they have 8 of the 14 qualifying traits. The article also lists that people who are considered to be "smarter" tend to have healthier lifestyles than the average person.
Recent science article on the traits of smart people:

http://www.sciencealert.com/13-science-backed-signs-you-re-smarter-than-you-realise

Likes ISamson and Grands
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I have only 4 of those traits; there are 6 that I don't have; and 3 that I'm neutral on. I guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was!

I have 8 of those traits, the others are completely the opposite to me [emoji23][emoji23]

This is a real test of being honest with ones self, to me there are 14 qualifiers on the page ("don't underestimate yourself") should be part of the list.
After an hour, I'm not sure how to answer on four of the traits, I tend to justify them in both directions. (yes I'm that way and no I'm not).
Asking my wife for first thought reactions, put me at about 8 and 5 :rolleyes:

Likes NTL2009
Not sure about the funny part, but a definite yes to the rest of them.

I have so many of these, but I still don't think I'm smart.

HAYAO said:
I have so many of these, but I still don't think I'm smart.
If you have most of those, then you might not be smarter than average; but having at least a few of them means you cannot be too stu-----, cannot be too dull-in-the-head most of the time.

I always thought people can identify who is smart by looking at their eyes.

Likes ISamson
Apple_Mango said:
I have a neighbor like that. He also says he can tell if somebody can be trusted by looking in their eyes. He is 64 yo, and dropped out of school after the 6th grade.

I seem to have 10 of them...:biggrin:, but some other, important ones I am not so good at.

Last edited:
Apple_Mango said:

This actually is true, I think.

ISamson said:
This actually is true, I think.

I consider what they say and how they react to different situations.

Likes ISamson
BillTre said:
I consider what they say and how they react to different situations.

But from the eyes... it is like staring into their soul. If the eyes are not serious, playful, distracted, stupid, then you can understand quite something about the person.

However in martial arts we look at the shoulders because how they move indicates the attack that is coming.

A strong correlation seems to be smart-er people tend to live healthier than average lifestyles. Are smart-er people same as more intelligent people?

I think the saying "stupid is as stupid does" is still most true...so if I weigh my stoopid achievements and smart achievements...hmmm...let's just say I'm always learning ;)

It's a fair article for media, something for everyone :D

nitsuj said:
A strong correlation seems to be smart-er people tend to live healthier than average lifestyles. Are smart-er people same as more intelligent people?

I think the saying "stupid is as stupid does" is still most true...so if I weigh my stoopid achievements and smart achievements...hmmm...let's just say I'm always learning ;)

It's a fair article for media, something for everyone :D
Some yes, some no. Some people might use the two words differently. Interesting that one seems to be a germanic word and the other seems to be latin-derived word. Additionally, Intelligence can be sub-classified into different types.

Likes nitsuj
symbolipoint said:
Some yes, some no. Some people might use the two words differently. Interesting that one seems to be a germanic word and the other seems to be latin-derived word. Additionally, Intelligence can be sub-classified into different types.
Yes, I poke fun at the whole thing.

Smart can be sub-classified into different types too! There's smart, smarter and...okay I'll stop...being a smart ass.

Well I disagree with this, as I so accurately calculated the fact that I have exactly 0% of these traits in under 30 seconds.

Last edited:

1. What are some common traits of smart people?

Some of the most commonly cited traits of smart people include curiosity, creativity, open-mindedness, critical thinking, and adaptability.

2. Can intelligence be measured?

Yes, intelligence can be measured through various standardized tests such as IQ tests or cognitive ability tests. However, it is important to note that these tests are not the sole determinant of intelligence and do not capture all aspects of intelligence.

3. Is intelligence solely determined by genetics?

No, while genetics do play a role in determining intelligence, it is also influenced by environmental factors such as education, experiences, and opportunities for growth and development.

4. How can someone improve their intelligence?

There is no one specific way to improve intelligence, as it is a complex and multifaceted concept. However, some research suggests that engaging in activities that challenge the brain, such as learning a new skill or participating in mentally stimulating activities, may help improve cognitive abilities.

5. Can someone become smarter over time?

Yes, intelligence is not fixed and can be developed and improved over time. By engaging in continuous learning and seeking new experiences, individuals can increase their knowledge, skills, and abilities, ultimately improving their overall intelligence.