Optimizing Trajectory for Perfectly Elastic Collisions: A Super Ball Experiment

In summary, the problem is asking for the initial velocity vector of a super ball thrown on a horizontal surface, with the goal of having the ball's trajectory move back and forth between two points. The ball undergoes perfectly elastic collisions with the ground and has a moment of inertia of 2/5*MR^2. The specific points and orientation are not specified, but the trajectory is described as a "loop." Additional information, such as the distance between the two points and the initial throwing point, is not provided.
issisoccer10

Homework Statement

How should you throw a super ball so that the trajectory of the ball moves back and forth between two points. The super ball undergos perfectly elastic collisions with the ground and does not slip. The moment of inertia for the super ball is I = 2/5*MR^2. Specify the initial velocity vector.

Homework Equations

m*velocity inital=m*velocity final

The Attempt at a Solution

Hate to say it but I'm totally stuck. I don't think it has to do with the path specifically, but I'm pretty lost in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

It appears (to me, at least) that there's not enough info here to say. Is this the whole problem? What two points do you want the ball to move back and forth between? How are they oriented? Where are they located in relation to the thrower?

the two points are some distance a part on a horizontal surface. Basically two points on the ground. It doesn't specify how far apart they are, but the trajectory is like a "loop" it could be an inverted parabola or a semicircle but it isn't specified. Also, we don't know from where or from how high the ball is thrown.

What is a trajectory?

A trajectory is the path taken by an object as it moves from one point to another. It can be described as a line or curve that represents the motion of the object.

What factors determine the trajectory between two points?

The trajectory between two points is determined by the initial velocity and angle of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it such as gravity or air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also affect its trajectory.

How is the trajectory between two points calculated?

The trajectory between two points can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, angle, and external forces acting on the object. These equations can vary depending on the type of motion (e.g. linear, projectile, circular).

Can the trajectory between two points be predicted accurately?

The trajectory between two points can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy, as long as all the relevant factors are taken into account and the equations used are appropriate for the type of motion. However, external factors such as unexpected winds or collisions can affect the actual trajectory.

What are some real-world applications of understanding trajectory between two points?

Understanding trajectory between two points is important in fields such as ballistics, aerospace engineering, and sports. It can also be useful in predicting the paths of natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets and comets.