1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory between two points

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How should you throw a super ball so that the trajectory of the ball moves back and forth between two points. The super ball undergos perfectly elastic collisions with the ground and does not slip. The moment of inertia for the super ball is I = 2/5*MR^2. Specify the initial velocity vector.

2. Relevant equations
    m*velocity inital=m*velocity final

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hate to say it but i'm totally stuck. I don't think it has to do with the path specifically, but i'm pretty lost in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    Hello,

It appears (to me, at least) that there's not enough info here to say. Is this the whole problem? What two points do you want the ball to move back and forth between? How are they oriented? Where are they located in relation to the thrower?

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    the two points are some distance a part on a horizontal surface. Basically two points on the ground. It doesn't specify how far apart they are, but the trajectory is like a "loop" it could be an inverted parabola or a semicircle but it isn't specified. Also, we don't know from where or from how high the ball is thrown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?