1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory for a runner aiming to a fixed point, with initial velocity?

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I want to know how long time a running runner needs to reach a point, when he is initially running in the wrong direction.

I'd like to do this with minimal calculation, so an approximation at 10% would be enough.

To even complicate the problem more, the runner can decelerate faster than accelerate.

data used :
    - initial velocity
    - initial position
    - target position
    - acceleration
    - deceleration
    - maximal velocity

The runner will always accelerate in the direction of the target position, and hopefully he won't run fast enough to enter in orbit around it... ;)

I tried to look for a solution on Google & these forums, but after more than 20 min still found nothing (especially coz I'm not sure of the right keywords to use :-S )

Thanks in advance for any help..! :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted