Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory of an Arrow

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    I want to find out the trajectory and the force of my bow and arrow. I was wondering how I could actually do this. I know how to calculate the force and kinetic energy of the arrow but I don’t know how to plot out the path of the arrow in flight I thought I might have to use Kinematics but I am not sure.

P.S This is NOT homework I am simply curious to see how far my arrow will go without testing it on a field, plus its more fun to use physics.:biggrin:

Also in working out the force of 2 different arrows I used to measure which one is better, I got that arrow 1 with a mass of .0285kg has a total of 11.721 joules of force and my heavier arrow of .05kg has a total KE of 14.1 joules. Is this right? I figured that they would be the same amount of KE because it is being shot with a constant force from the bow string.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    I would be interested in the effect of fletching and center of mass on deviating the arrow's path from the first-order parabolic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook